GPS Tracking Device

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by pkscheel, Sep 25, 2011.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I would be willing to bet that the least likely place a trailer gets stolen is IN a campground. Probably more likely from your home than from a campground.

2. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

I am mainly concerned about when we are on a trip and staying in the same place for multiple nights. We might decide to unhook the TV and leave the trailer unattended to go somewhere for part of the day (sightseeing/store/etc).

Although I am going to take the necessary precautions (lock/chain it up), if someone decides to defeat these precautions (there is nothing bulletproof you can do to stop them if they are determined/prepared) I am hoping the GPS tracker will give me a chance of recovery.

When not in use, I am planning on storing mine inside my garage at the house (out of sight), so I am not as worried as if it were in public storage.

-Pat

3. Trippster

Trippster Novice

I agree. We plan on traveling the same way. I am concerned about leaving a TD at a campsite. Is this a valid concern of others too?

4. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

If we didn't unhook the TV at the campsite, we'd never go anywhere. That is the first thing we do, once the tear is where we want it.

Most of the teardroppers we camp with don't have much more than a hitch lock & none of us has had any problems. Of course, if you notice how much stuff people set up around their teardrop, I would say it is a definite deterrent to stealing it, as it would take as much time for a thief to work around the stuff to get to the tear as it does for the set up of the campsite! :D

I agree with Jenn; teardrop theft at a campground is far less of a possibility than most anywhere else. People tend to watch out for one another.

Keeping the tear hitched to the tow vehicle won't necessarily stop someone from trying to steal it. I know of a case where a guy, on the way back from a weekend trip, stopped for a nap in a parking lot of a really nice small Minnesota city (Craig's best friend from high school is the mayor). While sleeping, someone tried to steal his teardrop from the tow vehicle, not realizing he was in it. Boy, did they get a surprise when he came out of the tear.

If someone is set on stealing it, they will figure out a way to do so. The best you can do is take preventative measures to deter them & keep the teardrop insured.

:cool:

5. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Ok, I am convinced. Thanks for your explanation. I do have have faith in people. What you all have said makes a great deal of sense.
    Thanks.
    Ken.

6. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

If you all tented b4 jumping up to the bed on wheels, how did you secure your tent while touring? I doubt that you packed all your stuff back in the car. I think there is a "code" amongst campers. I have never had an issue, from tenting off my motor cycle to pulling my TT.

7. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

No offense...but I think there is a big difference between a tent and a CI. If I am touring while tent camping, I secure my valuables with me while I am away. With the CI, IT IS the valuables.

Maybe I am jaded because I am younger & have always lived in big cities (San Antonio/Austin/Houston), but I have learned the hard way that there are people out there that do not have any respect other people's property.

My wife and I have had our cars broken into several times (as recently as last month). Let me tell you, it is a helpless feeling when you return to find your car broken into, knowing that there is little to nothing you or the police can/will do to get your property back.

I hope that I never have to use the GPS tracker on my CI and that it was a complete waste of money. However, if something does happen, and it gives me a fighting chance of recovering the CI and catching the person that took it, then it was worth every penny.

-Pat

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  8. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I think a lot of this goes back to good old common sense and advice Bear and Jenn have given. Our DNA is coded to protect us. If a place doesn't give you a feeling of security or at least safety, you best move on. And Jenn is right about people coming over to you right away. The last trip we took this summer, I was backing the trailer into a spot and a guy was trying to get my attention to ask me questions. I told him I would answer everything if he helped me avoid a pole I wasn't able to spot in my mirrors behind me. I also agree that if you befriend your neighbors, that increases security. It is kind of an unwritten/unspoken code.

The same thing applies to my neighborhood. We all know each other and look out for each other. We have very little crime on our roads, even though we are very close to the freeway/major roads. We are kind of hidden in a pocket though and I haven't had any trouble with it being parked outside. Having grown up in a college town, I learned early if it isn't bolted down, it could grow legs. Some places are better than others when it comes to storage. I think you should be good keeping it in your garage, but you know your area better than anyone else and need to do what makes you feel safe and will help you sleep at night. This is supposed to be fun, and not something that fills you with worry. If a tracker is helping, than go for it!

I will say that when I leave the trailer, I take all valuable with me (things that if lost, would ruin me...I.e. my phone, credit cards, etc...everything else is 'stuff' and I haven't spent loads on it, so if it goes, I might be bummed, but I don't worry about it), I keep all curtains closed, use the claw on the wheel, lock the chains and receiver, put down the chocks, the leveling feet are down, and we have a block that goes under our front wheel. This is all a deterent, and hopefully someone would notice someone doing all this work if we were away. We also have the trailer insured, just in case. Plus, I think it is more likely to be in an accident than stolen, and the insurance covers that as well (at least the part not covered by my car insurance).

Good luck!

9. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

I agree & that is the plan.

-Pat

10. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jenn,

What unwanted guess do you mean?

Jean

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I do remember the first time we ever camped: We were going to drive into town, and we looked at each other and said, 'Do we just leave all our stuff here??' We looked around at other campsites nearby, and that's exactly what everybody else did, so we took a chance...

My take on security is to make it hard for someone who might consider stealing your trailer - lock the hitch, some type of wheel lock. But like others have said, if someone is determined, they'll get your stuff. Insurance is cheap. We've camped for 30 years and have never had anything stolen. The only time we've heard of a theft was about 1 1/2 yrs ago - the family next to us had a purse stolen out of their car, which they had left unlocked.

12. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Sorry my post was misinterpreted. In no way was I trying to infer a value to the shelter as I was implying "the code" of people camping. For that reason I did not mention my brand of motorcycle, which in its day was quite an expensive piece of machinery. I was trying to reference my gear. Another case was at this years CI-CO. I was in a tent, and had a lot of iron, and cooking gear sitting out for about 3 days. I was not worried in the least. Again not comparing the tent with the CI. I suppose if my trust of my fellow camper is ever blemished, I will take a different consideration.

13. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

I think one of the best investments we made when we got ready to pick up the trailer was a pair of wheel locks that can be put onto one or both wheels whenever we left the trailer unattended (restaurant parking lots, the ProFootball Hall of Fame whatever.) Having them on the wheels provided Bob with tremendous peace of mind and he was able to enjoy whatever activity we were engaged in without worrying. They cost about $60 or $70 apiece, but were very easy to put on and let Bob - who tends to worry about everything - go with the moment.

Seen on a list of cowboy "truths:" "worrying is like riding a rocking horse; it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere."

14. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Pat,
    Have you gone ahead with installing the GPS tracking device?

15. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

Yes. It has been installed & construction is almost complete. Delivery should hopefully be sometime in January.

16. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Pat,
    Perfect. Our TD is a month or so behind yours. I might do the same thing as you. In addition I would like my wife to know where I am when I am out alone. So I plan to have her track me on a laptop when I use my IPhone.

So you would only purchase locates when or if your TD is stolen, correct?

17. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

That is currently the plan, however I might just buy a package and periodically track it to make sure everything is operational. Fortunately, with the SmartTracker I have a choice.

-Pat

18. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Pat,
    I was all ready to go with the SMart Tracker until I read on their website that the software is only Windows compatible, not Mac. Bummer. We only have Macs at home.
    Back to Plan B
    Ken in Louisville