Franks OTRA - Where's Frank-O now....

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by fpoole, Jul 25, 2013.

1. djkline

djkline Novice

The Logger's Jubilee is such a blast, I particularly like the lawn mower races.

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Trip Planning: SEATTLE - CICO, WI - HOT AIR BALLOONIES, NM - MOAB, UT - SEATTLE

Ok, I think I have the routing down now for my CICO & Balloon Route..

Google map Loop

We'll see, should work out OK timing wise.

Hightlights:
    CICO campout then straight on down to the Hot Air Balloons in Albuquerque, NM the home via Moab, UT.

Estimated:
    Round Trip Miles: 8660.6 mi apx
    Driving Hours: 135 Hrs apx
    Nights in "Le Droppe": 26 nights apx

Fun..

3. fpoole

Heheh... It's all fun...

[​IMG]

Just got my "Hell-Ooooooo Card"

People are always asking as you well know, "What is that??? Do you sleep in there???..."
    "No, it's for my dog..."
    and we go from there and who does the decals etc...

So made up some cards to hand out for references if they show an interest and to keep in contact...
    this is just the first version, I need to get a better photo with the BBQ and the Blenders and the ... whatever else I can squeeze in.. heheh, so this is just the first trial run...

It's all fun eh??

See you on the road...

4. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

Frank,

Interesting route to get the extra states haha.

The I-90 Missouri River Overlook in Chamberlain SD is kind of scenic. And I see your one checkpoint is near Mitchell
    SD home of the "World Famous Corn Palace" and my cousin Danny. I still don't quite see why my parents went there
    for their honeymoon. But I guess some might wonder why my deceased wife and I went bowling during ours...

By the way Frank, what brand of folding chairs do you have? I have a large one of those nylon sack on four X legs kind
    and it is OK for slouchy relaxing in but I sit too low to eat at the table. Some sites don't have a picnic table.

Have a great trip to CICO and the Balloonies.
    +1 Pics

5. fpoole

Heyya Mark...

Yah, the route gets more crazy going from CICO to the balloonies...
    As much, I think anyway, as I'd like to stop, it's hard for me to mosey around on the way. I figure I'll hit soon enough to stop by.. if you think that routes is crazy, wait till you see the one to "Knock off" the Eastern side.

Game plan for next year is to do the Trans-Canada hwy to St Johns the a little zig here and little zag there to knock of all the states I've missed.. it's gonna look wierd to say the least.

I'll catch up on the "Real sites" later when I come back. If I tried to stop at each one I'd never make it... heheh..

Chairs are at Cabala's I'm sure and other outdoor stores. I has the folding side table and a heavy canvas seat. Padded arms, I like it. I don't like the "bucket Chairs" that look like a Venus flytrap as it's too hard to get out of them. The big ones with the leg supports look comfortable... heheh, but makes me feel too 'Old'... and a bulky, heavy etc... I can look "Old" without the help of those chairs.. LOL...

Hope that helps..

see ya on the road..

6. fpoole

Where's Frank-O.... Right now, heading out to the CICO.
    Next stop??? Butte, MT...

"He's alive, A-live, AAAAAA-LIVE.!!!!!!!.."
    (as in Mel Brook's Franken-Steen)
    Walking out the door now...
    Cheers...

7. This must explain why I never saw Bob (of KathyBob) ever get out of his chair at last year's CICO.

8. fpoole

Where's Frank-O.... (going)

[​IMG]

next stop, Albuquerque for the Loonie Balloonies... apx 3 days to get there on Thursday...
    Leaving tomorrow... (Monday)

Today, just cleaning up, mud rain etc. Refuel, Restock and relive the adventure... OTRA... Albuquerque here we come...

[​IMG]

for some good photos....

9. fpoole

Just arrived in Kansas City somewhere?? Big mistake in trusting Garmin to get me to the KOA I wanted... ended up going back South East in the opposite direction by 25 miles or so.. so now, lucky me, I get to back track 25 miles... fun... long day 15 hrs... a little more than I expected... and not a clue where I am.. heheh... pulling Garmins plug tonight....next stop??? dunno, it's on the map somewhere... heading WEST this time... till tomorrow... I'll have time for pic posting then...

10. fpoole

Well, did that volcano place in New Mexico Clayton, volcano was closed due to the budget cuts... now down in Albuquerque, NM. What a mess. Acres of the Big Boys RV all packed together like sardines. While I'm paid for the full event, it wouldn't surprise me if I head out earlier... want to Roswell and maybe the caverns... not sure yet. too windy today to launch, and same probably tomorrow. Dry camping, have to conserve power etc.. No water sources that I could see. Sigh, won't take much to get me to boogie outta here.. we'll see....

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Frank, not sure which way you're heading when you hit the road next, BUT you might want to head up towards Abiquiu, N.M. It's up past Santa Fe, and is a beautiful area. Georgia O'Keefe's Ghost Ranch is right there, as it a monastery called Christ in the Desert. It's at the end of a 13 miles dirt road that follows the Chama River. A breathtaking ride. When we were there a couple years ago they were getting ready to open their own brewery... The whole area is just incredible.

12. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Wow...I want to start packing and head there right now! This sounds beautiful!

13. Ken & Peggy

It is one of the most impressive places we've seen. I forgot to mention that there's a campground right along the Chama River on the road to the Abbey. It's free, 1st come- 1st serve, pit toilets, etc. Here's a link. We didn't stay there, but would if we get back.

14. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Great! I bookmarked that...thanks!

15. Bev

Bev Novice

Hi Frank, the festival has been on my to do list for some time. I've been waiting to hear anything you would post regarding camping on-site and hints on the risings. I had thought of attending next October, but may need to rethink this one.

Also, I'm sure you won't mind the quick note to Jenn - awesome logo/shirt Camp-Inn presented to you. .....must be Camp-Inn Rock Star status for sure!

16. fpoole

Jenn - bookmarked.I can't get the url from this device,but if you go to my home page:
    www.poolesweb.com >GALLERIES >cico and balloons...

otherwise I believe the link is in Franks OTRA thread.... sorry not much help right now. Google has a nasty habit of changing things around and I can't get to the URL...

Ken - will be heading up there either Sun or Mon for sure... since I'm cutting short the balloonie thing, I have time..heheh, not that I'm on a schedule I guess...LOL... still getting used to the freedon.

17. Ken & Peggy

Frank, I'm sure you'll adapt to all the new-found freedom quickly!

18. fpoole

Biscuit - Well, don't go by my feed back alone.
    Crowds and I just don't get along.

You do "NEED" to catch balloon fest somewhere. This one of course is the Grand Daddy of them in the US but with that honor comes the crowds etc. Awsome site to see, but just too distant unless you fight the crowds which choose not to do.

If you do a simple "Google for Hot air balloons in your area, state, 3-state area, I'm sure you'll pick up something sometime. I've seen several, Prosser,WA can be a good one and they are a little less crowded and more up close and personal like... do a search, you'll find them, and then book a campsite near there... way in advance...When I get my computer up and running I'll repost the links, there in there somewhere... sorry...

19. fpoole

Ok left Albuquerque, NM drove up through the back Route through Santa Fe, saw the canyon with the dirt road.... as I was passing by, didn't see the 1000 whatever it was, but nothing really looked good that I wanted to stop at. The canyon would have been really nice for a longer stay. Nice drive through it. after some re-routing got to the 4-corners, closed - hours, and shot over to Cortez.. tomorrow, a liesurely drive over to Moab for a day or 3... then home... fun.. learned a lot on this longer (longest) trip, and will reconfigure when home... first, get rid of all the propane tanks I'm carrying.3 by going to the "Shhhh..." don't tell Cary heheh, he doesn't like the look with them on the front. But I want to be able to run the BBQ and or the Fire Pit from the single TD bottle. I'll carry the smaller one for back up... just one of a few things needed to adjust.... fun... or it will be LOL...

20. fpoole

made it to 4 corners, closed. On to Cortez, Co for overnight. Morning and this place is clean, well kept, nice log cabin office style, very nice, hot coffee, wine... would come here again, no problem-O... Now off to Moab, UT for a day or 3...not sure yet..
    cheers...