Fenix Cl26r Pro Lantern, And Lantern Hanging Options

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Steve and Karen, Jan 1, 2024.

1. I am heavily "invested" in the Fenix line of lighting, headlamps and their rechargeable batteries. Since my Black Diamond campsite lanterns were getting a little long in the tooth, I thought I'd upgrade to this:

CL26R Pro

It has 360 deg coverage with 4 light intensities, the highest of which (650 Lumens) is almost too bright to look at. It has a red, and a flashing red feature. But the variable intensity downward light is what sold it for me. You can use both lights (360 and downward) at any intensity individually, or together. It is USB rechargeable, and because the 5000mAh battery is so large, it can be used to charge or power other devices. It is only 4 1/2 " high, but packs in a lot of features and utility.

To take advantage of the downward light I went looking for some lantern hanging options and was happy with both Amazon-available versions that I came across:

View attachment upload_2024-1-1_13-52-54.jpeg

The post that clamps to the picnic table raises the light 30 inches off the deck, which means you're not staring into it, and it can provide good light for reading or other tasks away from the galley. While the post is surprisingly robust, it is not strong enough to support a fully-fueled large Coleman lantern:

https://www.amazon.com/QZATTCAEN-Ca...b8-b257-b30c1f504956&pd_rd_i=B0BF9WM256&psc=1

However, the other one is this:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09P51MXBT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

... and it can hold a Coleman.

It clamped (and held) around the small post above, and can be used on pretty much anything round up to 1.0" dia, or rectangular up to 1.0 x 1.5". Ideally, it would clamp to a tarp pole or canopy leg.

Neither of these devices are expensive or take up much room.

Recently, I also did an experiment with (what appeared to be) a faithful Chinese knockoff of this cool little device:

... for about a 1/4 of the price of the SnoPeak, and I can definitively say to not waste your money. Get the original, if this type of ambient/mood lighting is what you are looking for. The knock-off wouldn't light and sprayed pressurized fuel all over my hands while screwing it on and taking it off. I do have some 1/4 to half-full iso-butane canisters that will not be hitting the trail with me, ever. So I thought this was a practical way to use up the fuel, and possibly have a "candle-light dinner" at the picnic table. Perhaps the prototype SnoPeak is in the cards for me if I can get past the price.

Attached Files:

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

This is a troubling trend --- Amazon used to be a place where you could if so inclined find quality products. In the past couple years, I've noticed a continual decline of brands being replaced by cheap alternatives, often distributed by oddly named companies.

I doubt the sanity and intelligence of any company that offshore the manufacture of their products these days. They are full of copies, sometimes even dangerously low quality.

If you see YXTDZ or Uxpang as the company name...you should consider your purchase carefully.

Kevin S likes this.
  3. I agreed wholeheartedly. Initially, I figured the $25 I spent (instead of $100 on the original) was indeed a gamble, but one that could be absorbed, financially, if it failed.

However, I also do have to go to bed at night knowing that I cheated some legitimate engineer, designer and company (who spent real R&D and marketing dollars) out of their due compensation in favour of some entity whose only real skill is backwards engineering.

I have a "real" one currently paid for and enroute.

Kevin S likes this.