Fender Modification And Max Coupler For Ground Clearance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CampInnGlampin, Apr 4, 2024.

1. CampInnGlampin

CampInnGlampin Junior Ranger

We have been taking our trailer on a lot of off-road excursions with more to come... (hence why it is so dang dirty! Sorry about that)

The fenders hang down just a bit too low and can hit rocks, etc. when on the trails. Talking with Cary, he gave me the idea to modify our existing fenders rather than try to mount some aftermarket ones. I used a metal cutoff wheel on my angle grinder and took a couple inches of fender off the bottom, then a flapper wheel to clean the edges up nicely. It brings the fender in line with the frame of the body now. Not a ton of extra clearance but a couple inches will sure help. I am glad we can keep the classic Camp-Inn styling as well.

Before:

[​IMG]

After (cleaned the fenders up at least!):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Nice job, looks good!

Kevin S and CampInnGlampin like this.
  3. SethB

SethB Ranger

Wow! What is your tow vehicle? Suspension/tire mods?

4. CampInnGlampin

Have a 2018 4Runner with a slight lift and we have some overland type trips planned this summer. (Hells Canyon, Owyhee and Steens areas).

We will be getting some sturdier tires on the teardrop which we will go up to a 15" wheel to open up our tire options. Will go with an A/T tire for sidewall stiffness / rock protection. The torsion axels on the trailer are pretty great for off-roading as it is and have decent ground clearance, so those will stay for now.

We just got a Max Coupler articulating hitch setup that I'll be installing this weekend for much better trailer articulation as well. That will require grinding off the welds on the existing trailer coupler to remove that and then installing the new coupler.

[​IMG]

SethB and Kevin S like this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'd never have noticed if I didn't see the before and after close. Nicely done!!!

CampInnGlampin likes this.
  6. SethB

SethB Ranger

Hells Canyon, Owyhee, Steens… and I’m still a little jealous of your past trip to the Alvord! These are all on my list, but a little further away both in miles and our current tow vehicle (Toyo Highlander).

I do hope you post a little more on the upcoming mods. It’s so cool that our trailers can do this, too…

CampInnGlampin and Kevin S like this.
  7. CampInnGlampin

Thanks! Yes, we absolutely love the 4Runner. They are amazing vehicles.

For wheels, we are planning on going with a 15 X 6" wide 5-114.30 with 0 offset. Think we are settled on these Vision Turbines. Think they would look good on the Camp Inn.
    Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

For tires, a 205/70/15
    Thinking we will go with Yokohama Geolander A/T G015
    All-Season Tires | Tires | Discount Tire

8. CampInnGlampin

Decided to just go ahead and put the Max Coupler today! Turned out awesome. Very happy with it. Bit of a pain grinding through the welds to get the stock ball mount off, but made it work.

I need to replace my rubber propane tank gasket. It has decided it no longer wants to stay...

In process:

Cutting through the old welds
    [​IMG]

Grinding smooth and removing rust
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up and some paint for rust protection
    [​IMG]

Max Coupler mounted up
    [​IMG]

Connected to the 4Runner with the new receiving end on my hitch (replaces the ball)
    [​IMG]

9. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Nicely done. Both jobs are far beyond my pay grade.

10. CampInnGlampin

Another benefit of a coupler like this is that 90%, if not more, of opportunistic thieves will not have a mating receiver to steal the trailer. Most will just have a standard ball. Little bit of extra theft prevention is nice. Having a pin through connection like this also opens up some extra locking options. Heavy duty locking pins, etc.

11. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger