550 / 560 Feedback On Options/accessories

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by pkscheel, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

It's amazing how information gets screwed up! Wish I'd have known that before we bought the brakes....sigh...

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Linda,

You will often get many different answers for the same question, especially from DMV's. It is often hard to know what to believe.

:cool:

3. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Interesting. I thought Oregon required brakes on trailers above 1000 pounds. Not sure where I saw that but confirmed on Oregon DMV website the special rule mention in Betsy's link.

I guess it really boiled down to the recommendation from Subaru that if you are towing with a forester and the trailer weight exceeds 1000 lbs, you should have trailer brakes.

4. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

Linda,

I am not 100% sure of the Texas requirements. I was simply going off of the Camp-Inn website (see Betsey's link). I did spend some time looking for the requirements on official state of Texas websites. From the following link:http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm, I think brakes are not required until the gross weight is over 4500 lbs (section 547.401).

-Pat

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Well folks, there ya have it! But either way, I'm covered! Pat if you don't need it, I'd save the $500+ ! That's a no-brainer for sure! :)

6. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

Linda,

You would think so...but not really. Sure, with my current TV I don't need the electric brakes but who knows what TV I will have in the future. The main reason why I have a full-size SUV was to pull my boat (which I no longer have). Even though I won't be required to have electric brakes (by Texas) to pull a Raindrop (it is much less than 4500lbs), I might want to have them if I move to a much smaller TV.

Decisions...decisions.

Is the parking brake option only available with electric brakes? (I do not see it priced separately on the options price list)

-Pat

7. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Here is my take. Though I have pulled a Rain drop for just a short distance, I will speak from my overall experience with pulling "trailers". I have a Ram 1500, have pulled with as small as a 1965 VW beetle. When pulling "anything" with my Ram, I can tell that I have something behind me when I brake. This sensation of being "pushed" is taken away when I am pulling trailers with brakes. I think if I were going to be pulling in areas that are "unfamilier" , I would feel more comfortable having the brakes. If I am going down a very steep grade, on wet pavement, a light utility trailer can push you if you have to brake quickly. This is where I really appreciate the trailer brakes. The incident was on I24 Eagle MTN. in Tennessee, heading towards Chattanooga, It was raining and I was coasting down the grade with the truck in 2nd gear and letting the engine/ tran. keep us in control. A vehicle passed us at a fairly high rate speed, cut back in front and lost control of his vehicle. It was Whoa time for the kid. I was not hampered by my trailer "with brakes" in fact I think they helped. So IMO I will have brakes.

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

It is safer to drive with brakes than without. The degree of added safety changes with the tow vehicle, but still safer nonetheless.

9. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

Thanks Evan. I think you put it very well.

In addition, Karen is in the Health & Safety department at her company so safety is especially important to her.

I think we are convinced & will get the brakes.

-Pat

10. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Pat,
    My motto is always "Safety First!", so I think that's a wise decision. I agree with the other posters about being "pushed". When we had the big 1 ton dually truck and hauling this big 15,000 lb. 5th wheel the brake system made a huge difference even though I had a Jake brake on the truck. Keep those cute kids and yourselves safe for sure!

I took our minivan to a truck accessory place in Hot Springs where we used to live to have it and the 7 prong cord installed. Cary talked to the guy on the phone and told him how many inches off the ground the top of the ball had to be, so when the time comes I'm sure Cary can help you out with that.