550 / 560 Feedback On Options/accessories

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by pkscheel, Aug 2, 2011.

1. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

Trying to decide on our list of options/accessories and would really appreciate other owner's feedback on the items we are considering. Btw...we are looking at the 560 Ultra & we have 2 kids (will soon be ages 8 & 4).

Options:
    • Air Conditioning - A must have in Texas
    • Sunroof
    • 15in TV w/DVD/CD Player - for the kids :wink:
    • SUV Off-Road Package - I am 6'2" & have a full-sized SUV
    • Internal Battery Isolator
    • Stainless Bumper
    • Receiver Hitch - To haul our bikes
    • Handicap Access (?) for when I get old(er)
    • Solar Hookup (?) for future use
    • Galley Windscreens (?)
    • Electric Brakes with or w/o Park (?) - Do I need this with a full-size SUV?
    Accessories:
    • AC/DC Fridge/Freezer - for food (cooler for drinks)
    • Door Screens
    • Spare Tire
    • 25' Gas/Water Extension
    • Side Tent (?)
    • Alcan Cover (?)
    • Hi-Lo Mirror (?)
    Thanks in advance!
    -Pat

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hi Pat!

We have most of the options you have listed (plus a few, like the furnace, which for our part of the country is a pretty nice thing to have). One thing we don't have is the A/C...up here we get a couple of days of really hot (by our standards), but have fairly mild temps and opening the trailer up to air plus the fan makes things comfortable. Totally understand the need where you are though! Good thing to have.

We also opted not to have the tv, as we use our iPads for movies and they sit really well on one of the open cabinet doors. It gives us extra storage, which is handy since we have a nearly 4-year-old. If it were just me and Mick, storage wouldn't be as much of an issue. We also opted not to get the wind-screens. I fold up a storage door if I need it, and that works great for me. I usually have an extra table with us, so I lose some counter space, but I have that to cover me. So far it has worked for us, but it is something I can add later.

Mick had a double hip-replacement last year, and did/does pretty well getting in and out without the handicap access. The SUV package helps with that. Other folks may have other thoughts on this and better experience than we have.

I sure like that HiLo mirror (might need to look into that), and we will be adding the fridge next year. I am also kicking myself that we didn't add a receiving hitch...this might be a honey-do for Mick soon. I am also wishing we had the solar hook-up. I love our sunroof (great for rainy days when you need some extra light, plus it is nice to open up when it is hot to let some heat out). I can't suggest the Alcan cover and door screens enough. We have the electric brakes (required by our state for trailers over 1000#), but no parking break (we use chocks and don't tend to park on a hill). FYI-we are towing with either my husband's SUV or my wagon.

One thing I would suggest is checking out the page here on the forum, on the top things you HAVE to decide on, because you can't add them later. They are the most important...it is things like the A/C.

Hope my rambling was helpful!

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I agree with Sarah - pay special attention to the things that can't be added afterwards.

Take the furnace: If you ever plan on camping during the winter, traveling across the US, or are interested in resale value, you may want to consider it. Keep in mind that a Camp-Inn should last 30 years, and a lot can change in that time - including where you live. Here in the NW, the heater effectively doubles our 560's usefullness.

Solar Hookup: This option wasn't available when we bought our 560. So, I added my own roof-mounted panel later. If I purchased today, I would have Camp-Inn mount the panel for me - this way the cabling to the roof could be 100% hidden. I LOVE solar - it's free, endless power. We don't have the fridge, so I'm not sure how a panel would keep up with it, but our panel will run everything else. So, at the very least, get the solar panel hookup - but this will really only work with an external solar panel, like a tripod mounted setup. Some people prefer this because it can be positioned to catch optimum rays from the sun. I didn't want another thing that had to be hauled around and setup, so I just went with a permanently mounted panel that was 2x bigger (85w). Search for 'Solar Project' if interested in seeing photos.

AC: Probably a must for you - just remember that it is the ONLY thing that won't run off of the battery.

SUV Package: Unless your wife is very short this is a no brainer.

Handicap Access: Lots of old folks have teardrops - only a few have or need the handicap access. From the looks of your photo, you must be planning WAY ahead. I'm pretty sure this could be added later as needed - Cary would know for sure.

We got the 15in TV for our daughter as well - before there were iPads. Now, I'm not sure if we would get it again. Sure we use it, but we will still have our trailer years after the TV/DVD player is obsolete. It's a matter of convenience versus Moore's law.

Internal Batter Isolator: get it.

Stainless Bumper: Why not - you're already getting most everything else. :)

Galley Windscreens: Very good option, but it can be added later. I would get it unless you've got to find a way to keep the price down.

Electric brakes: Pretty much a must if you are towing with a smaller or medium sized car or SUV. We didn't get the parking brake because I couldn't justify the extra cost when a pair of chocks would do the same thing.

Alcan Cover: We originally purchased this, but later returned it unopened because we store our trailer in the garage. This is the very best place for your 560. If you can't put it in the garage, then get the cover.

Side Tent: We started out with one, and then upgraded to two. But, lately, we haven't been using either. Nice for extended stays or bad weather - but, as we get better at camping we have been using it less. This is one thing you can always add later.

Hi-Lo Mirror: Just got it, and I think it's great. But, again, something that can be added at any time. In fact, it might even be better if you add it yourself, because the standard location for the mirror might be too low for you.

Door screens: Get them, especially in Texas with all of your warm weather.

Receiver hitch: We have never used ours yet, but I'm still glad we have it. Some day we might haul bikes or gear with it. I wouldn't want to try to add this myself later.

Fridge: We didn't start out with this - just the cooler. Perhaps we'll add it later. It will be interesting to see if my 85w solar panel will be able to keep up with it. You can always add this later.

Sunroof: Make sure you get the Fantastic Fan. This is more important than the sunroof. With that said, you can have both on the 560. The sunroof is perfectly positioned to let you look up at the stars at night. We love it.

Get the cup holders for the cabin.

After you purchase, you should probably look at the McNugit knife block and cBallen's undercounter storage bin dividers.

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Hope that helps. Good luck with the new camper!

5. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Pat,
    All good answers. I added the receiver hitch. I like it. We use a cargo carrier. On it we carry an ice chest, Webber grill and the Camp Chef oven.
    We have a 550 with the handibars. I use them "all the time". They are for my wife but they allow me to pull my self up to a sitting position, and I sleep very lightly and when I roll over at night, I have found myself using them to lift myself up and then flip to the other side. This wakes my wife less.
    Bumper, looks cool.
    Screen doors ,practical.
    Galley screens, have them and never really had to use them.
    TV, we hook up a dish receiver. We are news junkies.
    We added the electric fridge. Very very cool. Shop around.
    I have found myself wishing for the furnace. This is on late season solo hunts.
    Hope this helps,
    Steve

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Before spending lots of money on extras you may not use, reflect on where you camp.

Do the campground you use have electricity to run an AC?

Mine doesn't have a furnace, so I use a small electric space heater, which cooks me out of the tear. Very reasonably priced at any store. Another option is a large dog heater!

AC- well, don't have one either. I can hear the gasps now, but I will have to create a redneck method of providing AC. Basically will be a unit sitting outside, use dryer vent hose connected to a window panel thru the door window.

Fantastic vent-the one absolute must have.

SUV height-the only height that should be sold

Handicap bars-you don't need them at this point, Kids would have fun with them.

Wind screens: don't have, raise counter doors when needed

Door screens: at this point I don't have them

Solar panel: don't have either. Have you considered a generateor instead? Generator would run the AC, where as solar won't.

Electric fridge: wish list. Will stay in vehile instead of being stowed in galley. I keep a tub with charcoal and lantern in the space.

Bike rack: think the option to place bikes between tow Vehicle and teardrop is best.

Mirror: don't have, never considered. I don't want to see myself in the morning!

Electric brakes: wasn't on unit when purchased. I tow with a 2010 Subaru outback. Previous tow vehicle was a Dodge Dakota, which didn't need the brakes. I am able to stop fine, takes a little longer. Not an option to add later. Don't know if I would add breaks if purchasing new.

Ultra: good choice.

Alcan cover: came with mine. In my opinion a must have. Any camper will get rock dinged.

Side tent: came with unit, I don't really like it. Prefer to use the Northern Breeze instead.

TV: wouldn't get, use laptops instead to add storage space and portability.

Jean

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

This isn't totally related to this thread...but, 75watts of solar keeps up pretty well with the fridge, and all the other gizmos. I used this set up for three days and nights and my battery never went below 3/4.

Don't skimp on the furnace, that thing is awesome and doubles the usefulness of the camper. You can use it twice as much! It's so nice being comfy inside and watching the snow fall.

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I forgot what the Alcan cover was. So, it's not the storage cover, it's the rock guard. Right - we have it and wouldn't feel safe driving without it.

9. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I wouldn't go with out my furnace, but one thing to consider is, it does take up nearly all of your storage space in the external area of the alcan. We now store our locks and small items there. Just one thing to consider. It works for is though...no problem!

10. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

As you can see, there are many different opinions regarding what to get. I think the two most important comments are: consider those options that cannot be added later and reflect on where you camp. The third thing to consider is what you can afford.

As someone who did get most of the options/accessories, I considered what my intended use of the camper is. While I am still working, it will be used for weekend camping trips and maybe longer trips once a year.

After I retire, I would like to do more extensive traveling. This is the reason I decided to get both the air conditioner and the furnace so that I would be prepared for the climate conditions I found myself in.

I am also going to be doing most things by myself. This is the reason I chose to get the parking brake. Having it within easy reach while maneuvering the camper has been great.

I have only used the camper on my way home from Necedah. Time will tell.

11. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

We have a 550. I love the fantastic fan, the side tent, the alcan cover and the cup holders. We did not get AC or Furnace. Have not needed the furnace but have a small 8 or so inch square heater. Served us fine in 25 degrees. I love the amount of storage we have. It held all our clothes plus for a 3 wk trip. We do not have the extra screens and have not felt a need for them. We find that keeping things simple makes our vacation time more enjoyable as we are not always shifting things around.

12. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

And that space is valuable for water and propane hoses, tool kit, wheel chocks etc etc that stuff would clog up space in the TV if it was not in there plus at least you know you already have it packed and will not leave it at home.

We have a small ceramic heater which OK has the downside that you need shore power. I tried running it from a small converter but that did not work. Perhaps a larger converter would work.

13. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Nope, large converter won't work either. Need shore power if not using the furnace.

Cary

14. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Thanks for the info Cary saved me making a purchase I don't need never could work out watts amps and all that electrical stuff.

I guess I will have to resort to rigorous exercise or a candle to warm up.

15. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Pat & Karen:

Ken stated:
    Handicap Access (?) for when I get old(er)
    Can be added later, if you ever need it.

This is incorrect - the structure needed to support the weight of your body when you pull on the handicap bars must be installed during the build or else when you put up the bars you'll pull the ceiling out of the Raindrop. This is the one option I wish we had and I know we discussed it when you were here seeing ours. My only concern for you would be to make sure they don't hang down in the way of your head - you're just a mite taller than us! :)

16. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

"I guess I will have to resort to rigorous exercise or a candle to warm up."

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more.

17. pkscheel

pkscheel Newbie

Thanks for all the responses!

I have a few questions:

• In this post (http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=69#Post69), it lists the galley windscreens as an option that must be decided upon before the build starts. Is this true & if so, why?
    • LP Furnace - Living in Texas (always have & most likely always will) is this something I need? I have received varying feedback (from don't need it - small ceramic heaters do just fine...to get it to greatly increase camping season & resale value). I am probably leaning towards not getting it, but I am on the fence.
    • Electric Brakes with or w/o Park - Also on the fence with this option. As I mentioned earlier, I have a full-sized SUV (GMC Yukon) & live in Texas. From what I understand, I am not required (by Texas) to have electric brakes, but I wonder if this is something I should add for ease of use (both now & when my TV changes).

Thanks Again!
      -Pat

18. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Windscreens - can be added later...it's just easier to have them installed during the build.

Furnace - more of a personal choice but unless you live where it is extremely wet/damp (like the northwest) or are planning on doing extreme cold weather camping (like below 10°F - although depending on what you are acclimated to, your definition of "cold" might be a much higher temp) or have no electric hookups or have personal/medical reasons for needing it, I would not consider it a necessity. The electric ceramic heaters are more than adequate for most people.

Electric brakes - Your vehicle is more than adequate without adding the brakes. More for those who 1) Live in a state that requires it; 2) Are doing a lot of mountain driving; and/or 3) Have a smaller vehicle. Big part of this is how you drive & what you are comfortable with. We have a 2004 Subaru Outback & don't have electric brakes. But we've also hauled around trailers for years & lived in the mountains, so are comfortable with & understand how to pull a trailer without them.

Here's the chart on electric brakes from our website:

Teardrops & Electric Brakes

:cool:

19. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Pat - I didn't think we needed electric brakes either but was told that most states require them. So if you're planning on taking your CI out of state that will be required, even though you won't need them. The thing that always got me was, if I rented a Uhaul that was never a requirement! So go figure...

The windscreens in the kitchen are really helpful on a windy day, which you can have in the Hill Country. Yes, you can raise the counter but that's inconvenient if you need counter space and it gets in the way for me. Just my 2 cents.

20. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

If the state you have your trailer registered in (or your vehicle if your state doesn't require the trailer be registered) does not require brakes for your trailer, you do not have to have them. Doesn't matter if you travel to another state that requires them. That requirement is only for residents of that state and does not apply to people traveling through.

Where it becomes an issue is if you are a commercial vehicle hauling a trailer...then you have to comply with other states' towing requirements. Remember that most towing laws are in place for very large trailers, not little <2,000lb ones.

:cool: