Energy Independence

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by jfocallag, Jun 15, 2013.

1. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I found a folding leg kit at Harbor Freight that works great for an extra panel that I have. I found it online not at the local store. Dave

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

that's a nice price. I think the Zamp kit (refurb) was $500 (for 120-watt), though you get a bit more with Zamp (carrying case, legs, controller, cabling)

Hard to beat $150 (even if you think carrying case is worth $100, legs are worth $50, controller is worth $100...)

3. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I originally purchased the Zamp 60 Watt folding panel. I discovered it was not eneought juice so I contacted Zamp and they sold me another 60 watt fixed panel they had from a builder demo for $75.00 (No case for this one) I then went on line to Harbor Freight and found the folding legs. Works great.

If I had to do it over I would purchase an 100 watt folding from Zamp. Nice panels and great support.

Dave

4. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Thanks for all the good information on solar. One may wish to view the Australian u-tube on "Kickass" solar regarding the support legs hitting the back of the panel when the panel is picked up to be stored.

Here's the linkhttp://www.australiandirect.com.au/kickass_100w_12v_portable_solar_panel_for_camping

Adding a stop into the frame or padding on the back of the panel would be advisable. Also, note the solution so the support legs don't sink into soft sand. The panels by "Kickass" seem to be made very robust, but pricey.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Do they ship to US? Seems like all the shipping info etc is for Australia. Wonder what you would do if you had a proble with the product?
    Gina

6. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

GinaNBob. Good catch, wrongly assumed they marketed in the US. I just chatted online with them. They only sell in Australia. I also asked if they had plans to establish in the US. The answer was no, and that they were plenty busy just in Australia. They seem to be a small manufacturing firm.

7. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

No worries ( catch my Aussie?). We had the solar hookup option added to our 560 so I am always watching any solar threads posted. We are saving our pennies for a future purchase. It did look like a robust solar panel. Keep the info coming!
    Gina

8. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I was really impressed by the Australian panels. Here is their response to my inquiry:
    The Aussies are really into their back country excursions. I have an acquaintance who's Land Rover is fully built out complete with his fridge and another freezer so he can have ice cream in the back country.

The Australian Direct website is worth perusing beyond the solar panels. They have a lot of good stuff for "Caravans".

9. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

We went with a Solarland SLP130F-12S 130 watt folding panel. What I like about it is that it comes in a nice padded aluminum carrying case, 16 foot cord, cigarette style plug and adjustable angle legs. It also has its own controller so we ordered our 560 with the solar plug-in socket but no controller. What I don't like about it is that its really heavy (almost 50 pounds with the case) and was not cheap (we paid ~$550). Haven't used it yet so can't speak to charging ability.

Randy & Michelle

10. Pick

Pick Novice

We did as you Randy but with a Zoller 120 watt,nice case, cord, and controller. Cary installed the solar plug. I haven't used mine yet either and am kind of wondering if I ever will. It is very heavy and everywhere we go there is 120. During the long wait of the trailer build I couln't help myself. Somebody once posted that they spent six months collecting things for their trailer and three years getting rid of what they didn't need. I quess I'll just have to make a special boondocking trip just to test out the panel lol.

11. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Mike and Denita,

Yup, that 6 month window is dangerous. At least we'll be ready to bug out when the electrical grid is attacked!

Randy

12. birder526

birder526 Novice

You all are so funny! Michael and I are sitting here cracking up! We are in the process of getting rid of our belongings, and yes, we are making purchases, too! April 1 can't come fast enough, or we are in BIG trouble!!

13. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member