Energy Independence

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by jfocallag, Jun 15, 2013.

1. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Oh, yeah, understand, thought you were talking about a heating Pad... furnace has never been a problem... oh well, looking forward to the report and a pic if you have one lying around of the panel... and hook up.. cigarette plug?
    Thanks..

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

This is my last post for the evening. In the shade and at 14.2. If I understand this correctly, as long as the light on the controller is green, I am getting power. For those of you who think I am crazy, I am excited because this opens up a whole lot of extended camping without electrical hook ups. This is cool.

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Way to go Joan. I think the green light comes on when the battery is full or near full. If you are low but the solar panel is charging it won't be green.

4. jfocallag

Here you go Frank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The solar panel is leaning against a folding aluminum table. I got the idea from Julia at the first NW ROundup.

I am probably going to have to charge my iPad tomorrow. Can't wait.

5. slumry

slumry Novice

Joan that is a great idea for the stand and fortunately we already have one of those tables.

There are two different versions of the Sunsaver, Gen 2 and 3; I am not sure which ships with Camp-Inn trailers. In any event I think they work about the same. This is what the manual says about the green light:

The green LED indicator will light whenever sunlight is available for battery charging. The green LED will turn off at night. Because the SunSaver uses a PWM constant voltage charging process, there is usually some amount of energy going into the battery at all times. Although the charging current falls to very low levels when the battery reaches full charge, the green LED will continue to stay ON (during the daytime). This is to indicate that the controller is working and that energy is available from the PV array for charging.

6. fpoole

Interesting set up..
    I happen to have one of those tables to, interesting use for it...

Hmmmm... I believe I already have the plugs, had 4 installed in the same lower panel, one the the "Beast Battery" to plug into, 3 other for chargers, etc... so I'll just have to figure out the panel wiring hook up using your photos which are great.

thanks much for the pics... heheh, saves typing 2000 words eh???
    (Pic = 1000 words?) or more...

7. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Joan looks like you now have energy independence have fun with it.

8. Kelly

Kelly Novice

Re: Energy Independence: Goal Zero

After much searching, I chose to go with the Goal Zero Escape 30 briefcase.

I went with the briefcase model for the following reasons:
    -you can link up to four briefcases together (120 watts total)
    -panel folds into a briefcase that has a nice outer protective casing (it is quite compact, attractive looking, and at about 12 pounds per briefcase it won't put your back out lifting it in and out of your trailer/TV)
    -built-in legs for sun positioning
    -panel can be prevented from "walking away" by chaining the briefcase handles to something
    -the panel does not include a built-in controller (thereby avoiding unnecessary costs)
    -can purchase additional panels when cash flow permits

There have been a few concerns raised about the durability of the buttons that keep the briefcase in a closed position, but that is all I found in terms of online complaints. I have started out with two briefcases for now and will likely add at least one more down the road (for 90 watts of solar energy).

I almost went through Cabelas to purchase these panels (for ease of return should I not be happy with them) but in the end went directly through (Canada's) Goal Zero website because Cabelas doesn't seem to sell the accessories (I recommend getting the extension cord for direct wiring the cigarette lighter). Everything arrived quickly and in good shipping condition.

After getting the cigarette lighter wiring done this morning, I couldn't wait to see how the panels worked on the trailer. I was only able to do a brief test (due to an ugly storm that is brewing here), but so far it is all good.

Kelly

9. fpoole

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  10. jfocallag

Not sure if it was something Ken said but my volt meter gave up the ghost last night so no more readings. Just finished charging my iPad. The monitor in the galley says it is charging so everything looks great. Said it was charging even when it was cloudy.

I looked at the goal zero and talked with people have them. They are happy with theirs. One question for you Kelly. It looked like they came with a different connector than the mc4. How did you wire the plug for them?

Based on the success of this weekend, I am definitely going to save up for the folding kind.

11. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I guessed that Ken wrote, "What happened to your voltmeter??" because it was lighting up all the LEDs, not just the highest LED.

but maybe that's what they all do - I don't recall

12. djkline

djkline Novice

Your voltmeter looks like it became separated at the joint.

13. AlCat

the Goal Zeros look great, but they are on the expensive end. My set up is less than 50% of what the Goal Zero costs.

But I also have "extra" room in my tow vehicle, and I fully accept that folks put different values on different parameters. As I run out of space in my tow vehicle, I'll likely be wishing I bought a more compact solution.

The other cool thing about the Goal Zero is you could take one of the panels with you while day hiking and charge your phone, if needed, while on the trail.

-Al

14. AlCat

Ha! I completely missed that.

-Al

15. jfocallag

Yes, I am sure Ken was referring to the neck being broken. Other than than that, it worked fine...until last night. I am ordering another one for my next trip.

16. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Joan-

Please forgive my ignorance...I'm trying to decipher all the solar information as I think we'll be doing a significant amount of boondocking and I also have to support a CPAP (side note: I appreciate all the CPAP threads here). My question, Joan, is why are there 2 wires coming from your panel? Are there 2 connectors on the back of the panel? Any chance you could take a picture of the connections on the back of the panel? Again, thanks much and sorry if this is a "rookie" question!

BTW--- I'm open to answers from anyone if Joan's too busy having fun to answer! Thanks!

17. jfocallag

Dan and Vanessa, ask away. This is why I am doing this.

One wire is positive, the other is negative:

[​IMG]

18. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

And the Goal Zero referenced is only 30 watts. You would need at least 2 if not 3.

19. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Gotta love that quote, Joan.
    Doctor: His neck is broken - otherwise he's fine... :)

20. Dahava

Dahava Novice

OK, Joan...I filed my question under the new forum heading category labeled "Duh!"

And to think I've done house wiring before! I just assumed the wire was like Romex and had all the wires in one cord...now it totally makes sense!

Thank you, Joan, for taking the time to take a pic (and not publicly humiliating me any more than I've already done so myself)!