Dryer Lint Firestarter

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Randy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

While camping this weekend I was complimenting my neighbor on how fast they started their fire and jokingly asked them if they had used a blow torch. "Nope, just an old girl scout trick!" The wife then showed me an egg carton. Each section was filled with dryer lint and then soaked with wax. She ripped one off and I used it to start my fire. Amazing! You all probably have heard of this but it's new to me. Michelle is saving our dryer lint as we speak, ha ha!

https://lifehacker.com/5821494/make...ut-of-egg-cartons-drier-lint-and-candle-stubs

SethB likes this.
  2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Yes...I've made them for 45+years & have a container for dryer lint that I save up over the winter. Also use sawdust when Craig remembers to bring me some from the shop. Save old candle bits or get candles cheap from yard sales/thrift stores, or if lucky, friends who know I use the wax. Have a #10 can that the wax scraps go in & an old pot that gets filled with water. Heat it up & put the #10 can in until the wax is melted, remove with vise grips, then pour into the egg cartons. Egg carton flats of 30 count work great, too. Just make sure you don't use styrofoam cartons. And whatever you use for pans, make sure they are ones you don't want because you will never be able to clean the wax out of them. Another good thrift store purchase.

Besides starting a fire, they work great for starting charcoal for the Dutch oven. No need for lighter fluid.

Randy likes this.
  3. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I would add that it is best if the dryer lint comes from cotton clothing and not synthetics as synthetics tend to produce noxious gasses as they burn.

4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

I have done both the sawdust/shavings and dryer lint with wax in the paper egg carton, and they work great if you get around to making them, but if you don't have the time or don't want to bother saving dryer lint, old candle ends etc. There is a natural product called fat wood available at a very reasonable price (in comparison to many commercial camp fire starters, and paraffin wax blocks if you don't have old candles).

In the mid-west Menards stores carry a 4 lb bag of it for $5.98: https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...starter-4-lb/442-4/p-1550475125148-c-6855.htm
    I cut the approx. 9 inch long sticks in half on my band saw, and use 2-3 pieces for each fireplace fire, and one bag lasts most of the winter season. We also carry a few in a zip lock bag when camping. Hope that give folks an idea for another fire starter alternative.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Jim Carter likes this.
  5. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

We use dryer lint from washing our cotton sheets, towels, and blankets inside a toilet paper roll, wrapped in newspaper. Works like a charm. Have not had a need to add wax.

Betsey likes this.
  6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

The wax holds everything together and makes it water/moisture proof. :)

Randy likes this.
  7. jsnrdy

jsnrdy Newbie

For scouts, we use the small make up pads and dip them in wax melted in a scented warmer. You just rip them in half and light the cotton fibers. Wax slows the burn so you have time for the flame to catch. Cheap and can mass produce for a troop of 30 kids + adults.

8. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Well, no wonder I haven't needed wax. Being in Arizona, we don't often camp when it was wet!

9. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have a bag of those in the DO box. Forgot why they are along. Thanks for the reminder.

Jean

10. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

:)