Dometic, Yeti, or both?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Chuck, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

I do have the plugs (thank you) but when I search for solar panels that plug into a 12v socket I can only find 30w and under. I don't think that is enough juice to make it worthwhile. I also have limited gear space in the Audi to carry large panels even if I could find them. I have found that I can use the Audi as a generator if need be.

We will be leaving a week from tomorrow for about 50 nights. Heading for Austin for Pegs daughters birthday, taking a month to get there and 2-3 weeks to get back. We loved our spring trip, summer had tooooo many BTKs, so now we are going to try the after Labor day season. By the time we get back we will have spent more than 1/2 of the nights since we added le dropp (now "The Silver Pullit") to our life inside this wonderful little tear. Needless to say, thank you for selling it to us!

Just as an fyi, the radio died on us one day and we had a temperamental 12v socket (upper right galley). I spent a whole day trying to get the radio working and only managed to get the socket to be totally nonfunctional. I took it to a car stereo place, they had the radio working in 45 seconds! The socket took probably 7 minutes. Best $16 dollars I have spent. Everything works again as it did when you had it, so, off we go into the wild blue yonder.

We hope all your plans with the new rig are going just as you hoped.

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

The Zamp panels plug into a 12V socket. I think Zamp has a plug you can buy to convert the plug they usually send.

However, because the Zamp panels have a controller on the panel, you need to disconnect the controller that lies between the external 12V socket and the battery. Easy to do, but you have to do it. I believe that if you have TWO controllers, the system will not charge properly.

My Zamp panels are about the size of a thin electric guitar case. Maybe 20 X 40 x 4

-Al

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Kewl, getting out there... fun...

Sockets, I believe most come with a controller on the panels and then a 12 socket as Al described.

The big Ole Red switch in the storage/pan area flips back and forth from the lower side plug I used when using the battery or the internal battery. It's either using the internal battery source - normal operation or flip it and use whatever outside, in my case the battery, or solar and the internal battery will be issolated and not in use... anyway, just an option..

If you have something plugged in at the bottom panel plugs then you'd switch the red knob to the other direction. You'll see the little green power light flicker and sometimes you have to push the litte "Reset" button on the white outlet, it gets confused at times...

Also? I thought you had the Yakima racks? sorry, don't remember but I couldn't use them so assume you do, but you could?? carry the two panels up there for storage or for actual use?
    just a thought...

2 Controllers:
    My understanding is that if you have the two power, batteries, online at the same time, it weakens/damages them. They both try to charge each other without fully charging themselves. Check with Cary on the ramifications or the solar panel 'peeps', just to make sure

New rig, heheh, steady as she goes.. sounds like you have a great trip planned.... fun...

4. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

I do have the Yamaha racks. Interesting thought about carrying or mounting them on top.

5. Steve_B

Steve_B Newbie

Truckfridge.com sells ac/dc chest type fridge/freezers that are 23" long with the factory handles removed.

People have substituted heavy duty nylon straps for space saving carrying handles.

The chest type Truckfridges come in three sizes with 1 cubic foot, 1.5 cubic foot, and 2 cubic foot storage capacities. All have the same length. As they increase in storage capacity their height increases too.