Dead Batteries Aren't Much Fun

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Sweeney, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Cary mentioned that the charger I have is easily removable in mine --- I think maybe upgradable to the 10amp as well. If that's the case, that will be my path.

Electronically, I got this --- not worried a bit about that. Its keeping it looking like factory --- retrofitting is not my expertise. My DC to DC converter is factory installed and in the right side cabinet --- I only have to move/upgrade the charger.

If a 6amp charger will charge just take longer, then I'm fine with it. An 8 hour charge just means slower charging, and in almost all cases I'm going to be stationary for that long when I do have power. What I don't know, is if 6 amp is "too slow" and will not equalize/balance properly.

Thinking more about this, I think the victron Removing the voltage display (which you do not have) really only needs to be opened to 2 inches (+/-) to accommodate the victron...The more I think about it, the better I like that and I'm sure there's enough room after I did a little exploration last night.

SO I think my question has down to:

1] is 6amp too slow for the battery, is higher required for proper equalization
    2] Can the victron generator control act as a "cut off" to allow the camper to be left plugged in, then to only recharge the battery when it does below the "auto start" threshold using a relay (Mechanical or solid state) to physically disconnect the charger from the battery when it is charged. Is this safe for the charger, as well as the battery.