Dead Batteries Aren't Much Fun

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Sweeney, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yeah! If you have one of the old chargers, these are temperamental. In my '12 model the charger ate itself -- lots of capacitor juices. It has been told to me that the Battery Tender is not happy when attached to failed or failing batteries.

I'd be sure to check to see if the onboard charger is working. Using a volt meter or the battery gauge, check the voltage with the trailer unplugged. Plug it in, you should see an voltage go up -- at least to ~13.3 volts, the charging voltage of a battery. if there is no change the on board charger may have been damaged.

Nothing worse than a battery being sucked dry, which would happen to your NEW battery if the charger isn't working correctly --- see the O.P. for his story :)

2. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

Kevin likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

its impossible to do. Its legal in some states to tow 2 vehicles --- but it definately doesn't make it smart...

Kevin likes this.
  4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've SEEN it. The people had a homebuilt teardrop -- bed, galley etc. Behind that they towed a smaller second teardrop which was sized for appropriately for their kids. I've also seen a class c pulling an F150. Attached to the F150 was a fishing boat.

Legal? Perhaps --- it is in some states. Smart...no. Insurable? I love my toys too much to try it :D

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Kevin likes this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

AAAH!!!! I DID IT AGAIN!!!!! #2

First is a mistake
    Second is stupidity
    third - Congratulations, You've developed a skill!

dustinp likes this.
  6. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Ever since the second time I left the master on in the plane after landing, and ran the battery down to the point of needing replacement by the time I went to fly again, I have kept the strobe lights switched on continuously. If the master is on, the wingtip strobes are flashing, which makes it virtually impossible to walk away from the plane without noticing the master was left on.
    Unfortunately there isn't something quite as obvious on the TD to serve as a reminder. A checklist, if used, would probably work ok, but might want to give some thought to coming up with something similar.

Kevin likes this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Good idea with the strobes. Worst part is in your case you had to pay an A&P in addition to an overpriced aviation battery, unless you were flying experimental ....OR...you ARE an A&P

What happened to me, was I got home "late" and we just backed the trailer in and started unloading...In the hurry, I got stupid.

Worst that happens is I get an excuse to upgrade the battery....AGM. LIFEPO4 is still not suited well to my use yet.

dustinp likes this.
  8. dustinp

Well it wasn't quite that bad.
    When I built my GlaStar, I took documentation of that fact into the Mpls. FAA FSDO office, and answered enough of their questions that they were satisfied that I actually had built it. Once convinced, they issued me a Repairman's Certificate that is valid for that specific plane only.
    So while I'm not an A&P, it authorizes me to do the annual condition inspections, and any repairs that may be required on that specific plane. But I don't hesitate to enlist the help of an A&P if I run into an issue that I'm not sure about.
    Even the Odyssey AGM batteries I use in my experimental plane are not cheap, but not quite to Concord levels, however the two that are currently in the plane have lasted about 9-10 years now (once I quit abusing them!), and you don't see many Concord's last that long.

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Glasair....oooohhh....beautiful plane! I've only seen them static, no one I know flies one. Most of the planes around are the ever popular RV's...a couple of Zeniths (I own the serial number for a CH750 Cruiser), and a smattering of other kits. The RV's by far are the most popular. Having the ability to do those repairs yourlsef takes at least a little of the sting out of it.

The good news is, I put the battery on an ol'd fashioned, 1970's era battery charger (You know 12 volts @ 6 amps from a transformer with a ammeter) --- love that thing ---- it just works and the battery was sitting ad 13.3 volts right off the charger. Turning on a few lights, and running the fan burned off the surface charge and it was still at 13 volts....

I know this has hurt it - but at least it doesn't delay my weekend by sending me to WallyWorld...

I don't have a battery test meter -- yet -- so right now its unplugged with the fridge, vent van, and a lithgt running....see what it looks like in an hour

dustinp likes this.
  10. dustinp

It sounds like you may have gotten away with it (hope so). I did too, the first time, although there was a noticeable decrease in energy. I wasn't so lucky the second time I forgot the master was still on.
    While the GlaStar is made by the same company as the Glasair, it's not quite the sleek rocket of it's older brothers fame. I vacillated between an RV6a (7 and above weren't available yet then) and the GlaStar when I decided to build, but eventually the practicality of the GlaStar's roominess and utilitarian capabilities won out. Not as fast as an RV, but 160mph cruise is not bad, I can haul two folding bikes or a bunch of camping gear in the baggage area (try that in an RV), it can be put on floats or ski's (although I've done neither), it can be set up as either trike or tail-wheel, and can go from one to the other in a couple hours. CH750 has some of those aspects too, and can get off the ground a bit quicker. Every plane is a compromise of some sort, and the GlaStar is no exception. It's fast, but not the fastest, it hauls a good load, but not the most, it gets off the ground in a short distance, but not the shortest. So it's pretty good at most things, but the best at none of them.

11. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

The new RV15 looks interesting.

dustinp likes this.
  12. dustinp

Yes, Van's finally doing a high wing! It'll be interesting to see the specs on it after it's officially introduced at AirVenture.

13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Nice --- I like high wing. I would have given vans much more consideration if they had one when I was looking.

I've never flown left seat in low wing. My FBO rental fleet were/are all Cessnas. I can't speak to flight characteristics, but from right seat, I know the visibility is a lot less and I personally enjoy watching the landmarks below drift by my window below.

Out of 50 nights (Yes, I just crossed that number since November :D ) and so far I've only used full battery 1 night. State parks almost always have power. Its not that big of a deal -- what I need is battery to run the fridge while parked en route, and to keep the brakes working in an emergency pin-pull situation. I'm curious how a super-cap would work :)

14. dustinp

I like them both. I started my training in a C-150, but didn't much care for that, too cramped. Finished getting my ticket in a Piper 140, which I liked a lot. Joined a group with a Piper Arrow and Cardinal RG, so got my complex endorsement in both a low and high wing, but sold my share when I finished building the GlaStar. So about 350hrs in low, and about 1000 in high at this point, and like I said before, they are all a compromise of some sort, with none being great at everything.

Sweeney likes this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Right now, I'd be happy to get some seat time in just about anything :)

My medical is expired, and I am not current. The FBO I rented from previously no longer has a school of any kind....they've gone regional jet as their primary business....

The next closest fleet isn't too far away, about 45 minutes. But even the discounted 'club' rate is 155. Closer to 180 for non members. I know its an exepsnive hobby...and I've wasted money on far lesser things.

Maybe this is that "tradeoff" discussion again --- I really want my house paid off. At 4 hours a month flight (which is not that much) this would dramatically impact my pay off goal.

In the words of the philosopher Eore...Oh bother...

16. SethB

SethB Ranger

Looking for an aero-related hobby on a budget?

Fly drones!

I’d be glad to answer any questions. If I recall, a Part 61 certificate holder has a cost-free path to a Part 107 non-recreational drone certificate. There are many regs and restrictions, but a private pilot knows about almost all of those that affect drone operations.

Kevin likes this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'd need a might big drone -- one that can lift at last 250 pounds :D

I've actually considered that, regardless of my current medical and currency status. I've also considered non-powered flight...gliders.

I flew Radio Controlled planes way back in the mid 1990s. I was never very good at it --- I could never wrap my head around the reversal of controls when the plane is flying towards you. Something probably much easier in a drone since you aren't moving at 40 mph and having enough mass to do some serous damage to property if you hit it :)

18. SethB

SethB Ranger

Although 40-ish mph is easily attainable in a mid-range drone, there are a couple things that really help with the reversal of controls.

On a GPS-stabilized drone, if you let go of the controls it will patiently hover while you get your bearings - this is a huge relief for people learning to fly!

Unlike a fixed-wing, a quadcopter is perfectly happy flying backwards, forwards, left, right relative to the pilot. It’s a best practice for those learning to take-off and land nose-out. Flying nose-out does impact what direction the camera is facing, but is still great for learning.

Eventually, you start to internalize and don’t have to give the relative-to-the-drone controls/movements a lot of active thought. I can see how that would be harder beginning with a fixed wing RC, where there is no hover and it only flys forward.

19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Drones definitely have the upper hand, in that they hover...mostly effortlessly I am sure. If things get dicy just stop and get in the right head space. With fixed wing that is just not an option.

I never had a problem if the plane was traveling from left to right, and was traveling off my right shoulder. It was when it was approaching off my left (base or final approach in a standard pattern) sadly one of the most critical phases of flight. By the time I really bagan to internalize the concept, I flew the plan into the ground :) and at that time I didn't have any money to fix it...and my hobby was shoveled into the back of a car never to fly again.

More than once I've considered building another kit. At this point, I think I'd like to do another balsa model -- simply because I enjoy building.

dustinp likes this.
  20. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

Started this when I was 47. Now I'm 72 and still fly nearly every week, usually racing around the mountains with friends but sometimes flying cross-country. Longest was 103 miles in UT.

Attached Files:

Doug & Angela, Kevin and dustinp like this.