Cooking Beans With A Thermos

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by Tom Sutor, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Tom Sutor

Tom Sutor Novice

Anybody ever use a thermos to cook beans?

There is a guide in Maine (Tim Smith) that teaches bushcraft. He has a website called bushcraftschool.com. One of his videos covered the cooking gear you should bring for a bushcraft field course up there. (I'll post the link but it won't work unless you join the site and are signed in.) They are big on canoe trips and most cooking is over a campfire with basic gear, including dutch ovens.

Welcome to BushcraftSchool.com

Was interesting to hear Tim mention about cooking beans in a 2-quart wide mouth thermos. He says you boil the beans and water for a little while then pour them into the preheated thermos. In 2-3 hours the beans are done, hot and ready to eat with no further prep. Haven't tried it yet but seems like a great thing do while camping. Take 10 minutes to boil some beans in the morning before shoving off, and have a hot meal waiting when you get hungry later.

2. SethB

SethB Ranger

I often make 1 serving of steel-cut oats overnight in a small wide-mouth thermos. Oats & boiling water & a pinch of salt, works great!

Kevin S and Chuckwagon like this.
  3. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Some of us lacking in culinary skills find that boiled water over instant oats, in a nice coffee mug, works pretty good. ;-)

Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  4. SethB

SethB Ranger

We’ve been known to do the same on departure mornings!

However. For me it isn’t a camping trip without some rustic culinary excess! I’ve been known to cook breakfast and dinner on a lodge cast iron griddle that covers the two burners of the CI stove. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, and a stir-fry for dinner - yum!

Kevin S likes this.
  5. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Hmm. I'm going to have to drop in on you some morning. I thought I was big stuff when I learned how to boil up a breakfast burrito. LoL!

Kevin S likes this.
  6. I was a hard core climber and mountain guide in my younger days, and have eaten many, many rehydrated meals and such, by dumping water and food in a water bottle and heating it in the sun or in my jacket while trekking. Great thread, I'm busting out a thermos right now!

Kevin S and Randy like this.
  7. JessieJim1

JessieJim1 Newbie

Interesting idea!

8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I have done the same thing as a mountaineer. Another thing to do is put it in your sleeping bag at night and it’s at least body temperature in the morning.

Kevin S likes this.
  9. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I always got a kick out of seeing boy scouts eat dehydrated food and chase it with a pint of water.

Kevin S and dustinp like this.