Condensation in Warm, Sunny Florida

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Dixie Sparks, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Dixie Sparks

Dixie Sparks Newbie

I am very interested how do you keep from getting condensation in your camper & prevent Mold ?
    I too live in Pineallas county & would love to purchase a camp inn however concerned about leaking
    and mold issues....Would love to see your camper I live in Dunedin Fl Thank You Much Dixie

2. Dixie Sparks

Dixie Sparks Newbie

We get a lot of rain if Florida High humidity how to prevent problems

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We keep ours in an enclosed storage unit and keep Damp Rid inside. We also utilize a Hypervent under the mattress. Several owners use the frolic system which seems to give you more comfort, but at a higher cost.

4. Canoecrazy

Canoecrazy Newbie

Well we are approaching a year of ownership of our 560. We just finished night 40. We too live in Florida. We are familiar with controlling condensation from the humid and warm environment. We have a froli system, keep the camper in the garage and take advantage of damp rid.

We are not skilled in cold weather camping. We just spent 10 days going from Florida Caverns, Lake Powhatan, NC and then Maryland. Most evenings were in the low 30s to low 20s.

Being cold-adverse, the kids were on the bunks and my wife and I were on the bed. With all that hot air and heater going, I would expect a good bit of condensation. I would like to know what I can do to reduce it. We cracked the windows but did not run tue fantastic fan. It was too much for the kids.

we wiped everything down in tue mornings. We noticed a great deal of condensation on the windows (drains worked great) as expected. We also noticed a bunch on the walls between the doors and galley area. We also had it in the cabinets.

Any tricks we can do not to wake up with wet bedding and items in the cabinets?

5. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I camp a lot in the Western Florida panhandle. Air flow and air flow. People exhale a lot of water and it needs to go outside. I have an under mattress ventilation system with a four inch vent in the floor under the mattress mesh. There are two vents on each side of the mattress. The roof fan has an all weather cover that allows the fan to run even in the rain. When the fan is running with the windows closed air moves up from under the mattress and out the roof. There is little sense of blowing air. You could get the same results with the vent fan and slightly open windows but there is a breeze. The larger the window opening the lower the velocity of incoming air. The side tent makes a good plenum that allows opening a window on rainy days. If you backpack and use one or two person tents you have the same problem but no power vent. If its cold and I have 110 I run a 500w heater while running the fan. If no 110 we use a down double sleeping bag and run the fan.

Kevin S and Van_and_Terri like this.
  6. Canoecrazy

Canoecrazy Newbie

I would love to see the vents you installed under the mattress. I have a rooftop tent on mine for the kids. The tent manufacturer has a solar powered condensation fan that is virtually silent and it works well to combat moisture. It’s doing what you are suggesting with the fantastic fan but at a much lower volume.

Kevin S likes this.