Stove Coleman Oven - Cast Iron Griddle!

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by M&L, Apr 7, 2022.

1. M&L

M&L Ranger

Putting this out there for anyone using the Coleman Oven accessory that fits on top of the stove in the galley. Lodge makes a 9.25-inch griddle that fits perfectly inside. We use the griddle for making pizza while camping (see attached photo). Highly, highly recommend!

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4XNEE4

Attached Files:

2. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I didn't even know they made one without handles. That could come in handy for many uses.

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah and M&L like this.
  3. M&L

M&L Ranger

Ya, they've had a handful of them over the years of varying sizes, but I had originally given up on finding one. I was surprised late last year to find that not only were they making them again, but that they were making one that seemed like a perfect fit for the Coleman oven. So, I gambled and bought one...the measurements were correct, and now we have pizza every time we camp!

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

You thinking what I'm thinking? Barbarian rules Frizbee!!!

I used to like lodge --- but the stuff I've seen coming from them recently is very rough, and the iron pitted. Takes a lot of work to get a working carbon layer. BTW, Use beeswax -- it's amazing! Just like oil - wipe on a thin layer on a hot surface --- a pound lasts us a year...its been covered here in the forums.

5. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

:D

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah likes this.
  6. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

SethB, Tour 931 and M&L like this.
  7. M&L

M&L Ranger

I like the Barbarian Frisbee idea. Might be fun to machine some spikes into the edges. New business idea for the current era: Apocalypse Cast Iron! Having flashbacks to the Road Warrior movie from the early 80's...

Even with the rougher texture, I agree...it's different now. The Lodge stuff is still fine with a PROPER patina...it does take a little extra treatment, though. And bacon. Lots and lots of bacon :). Doesn't take much to sand the interior surface down, though, if it's really an issue. I'm happy to do that if it means I can buy an American-made product. If you ever get the chance, there is a National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, Tennessee in the spring. Besides having absolutely *mind-blowing* cornbread, it also happens to be the home of the Lodge factory...and the festival is the only time they open the factory up for tours. It was REALLY cool seeing how everything is manufactured.

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

You know what goes good with bacon? More bacon! Pre--covid we were very keto -- lost about 100 pounds eating bacon & eggs, steak, fish, avacado....love it!

I do like the american made aspect of lodge as well. We've driven past the plant many times, never stopped beucase I'm sure the factory store looks pretty much like my kitechen. And I like the fact theirs is still affordable. We have looked at some of the new bands and while they are much higher qulity -- you'll pay for it.

The last cast I bought, I did sand -- maybe with a an agressive disk. I found a lot of pits and unevenness hidden under the factory "seasoning" --- migh be my damage, I don't know. I found some rust forming under the seasoning of my griddle .... I suspect I'll be re-doing that one.

You say when you sanded yours it wasn't grainy and pitted? Did you hand sand or use a tool?

M&L likes this.
  9. M&L

M&L Ranger

I don't recall excessive graininess or pitting. I started with sandpaper, then fiddled with a wooden block and some grit I had laying around from an old telescope mirror project from years ago, then finally broke out the Dremel which made things move along quickly!

10. SethB

SethB Ranger

11. campdude

campdude Ranger

Another thing I need to get now. It will come in handy.

M&L likes this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I think I may have used an agressive paper --- I saw a video and used the same tool he used, his worked -- mine was a disaster.

think I'll stick to hand sanding when I need to readdress this issue

M&L likes this.
  13. Joseph

Joseph Newbie

I have the one with built in handles... much easier to clean and get on/off the stove and fits perfectly.. but it is a few pounds heavier...

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Grid-Griddle-Reversible-Easy-Grip/dp/B00008GKDQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=BSHSE3YWSO2J&keywords=lodge+griddle&qid=1649517887&s=home-garden&sprefix=lodge+griddle,garden,80&sr=1-2

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  14. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

In your mouth watering picture, is that a wood pizza peel under your griddle? Are you using that to remove the no handle griddle from the oven, or the pot holder in the back round, or is there like a lid lifter to pull it from the oven?

15. M&L

M&L Ranger

Great question. The pizza is sitting on the (very hot) cast iron griddle, and the griddle is sitting on an olivewood cutting board that we keep with the trailer. The reasons we're using the cutting board here are to a.) hold and transfer the HOT griddle to the side table after taking it out of the oven (we put the pizza here briefly for the photo), and b.) keep the keep the griddle from scratching up the side table surface (which was unprotected at the time). The pot holder (which was made by my mother-in-law and matches our homemade quilt inside the cabin!) is used to grab the edge of the griddle and pull it out of the oven and onto the cutting board.

16. diloanko

diloanko Newbie

Great answer