CICO 2012 Attentee Tips: The Loo

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by skissinger, Sep 30, 2012.

1. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

So CICO 2012 is over (for me anyway, have to work tomorrow, some lucky people are staying longer) but part of my personal "mission" <grin> while I was there was to ask anyone I met what accessory or tip they have to suggest. Everyone had wonderful suggestions. Almost all of them are already covered on this forum in other threads, but I'm going to mention them again.

There were so many wonderful tips I'm going to break them up into groupings, from the inside out. So here's CICO 2012 Attendee Tips: the Loo

The options depend upon whether or not you have a side tent or popup privacy tent, or don't, but here's some of the options mentioned

- PETT, www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-GO-anywhere-Portable-Toilet/dp/B001TKGAKO I *think* this is the one that the person (with a 560) said fits right into one of the under-mattress compartments. I forgot to ask which compartment, so perhaps it wouldn't fit in that location if you had a 550. And, of course, WAGG bags to go with it.

- bucket/lid/chemical kits, I think there are several types, but here's one:http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Luggable-Portable-Gallon/dp/B000FIAPXO

- a bike! Yes, a bike. If you aren't camped right next to the loo in the campground, hop on it and ride to the loo.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. SethB

SethB Ranger

Confirmed: The PETT fits in an under-mattress storage perfectly in a 560. A couple years ago it seemed like the best solution we could find through online research.

Kevin S and Van_and_Terri like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

How are that at...mmm...odor control :) The bag/box/bucket with exception of composting (with the vent and abundant use of peat moss) I can see --- these seems really small and lacking in the mixing and venting department....

4. SethB

SethB Ranger

At the time we were preparing for our first pandemic-era trip in Summer 2020, and had decided on a (technically) closed campground that the local USFS ranger station said was OK to camp at. Which we thought was great! Fewer people, etc.

We weren’t sure if the pit toilets would be open, or if we’d want to use them; it turned out that they were, and not many people using them, so that’s where we ended up instead of sitting on the PETT system.

In short, we haven’t yet used it! But I feel pretty good that we have it for backup and possible future boondocking. Along with other less-needed contingency supplies in those lower storage bins.

The system has your poo & pee ending up in a plastic bag containing a gelling powder with some sort of chemical/enzyme action that when wetted expands, solidifies, deodorizes, and through some sort of transformation makes the waste inert enough to legally and hygienically dispose of in the trash. It’s got to get wet. It can be supplemented with some additional powder sprinkled on top, or pour some water on it if needed.

So I’m told! Both by info gleaned from the company, and from a conversation with campers who used the system for years.

I understand this is a system also used by river runners… who say that if you’re packing a week’s worth of human waste of course it’s going to smell!

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Whoh....

That may be worth look at -- we've got a thetford toilet and it can be...ripe. The right deodorizer (happy camper) makes a big difference.

I also found an adapter (links below for both their web site and amaz0n) which Is fantastic! It turns a thetford into a RV bayonet fitting. Dumping is TRULY odor free, and you can safely dump at any rv dump. Of course, you have to carry a hose as well --- found a shortened one fits in a giant zip-lock just fine.

The nice part is, the way the adapter works it stays remarkably clean -- The engineering behind this is truly good, and those who know me, I RARELY will say something like that.

The Americanizer™

https://www.amazon.com/Americanizer...1652456062&sprefix=americanizer,aps,77&sr=8-2