Charcuterie Board For Fender, With Bean Bag Support

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Steve and Karen, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Some other forum members have contributed their versions of fender shelves. Each had their own reason for the shelf and their own solution to the "curved fender" problem. I thought I'd throw my own out there.

This is a piece of double-live edge Yellow Tarara, or Canarywood. Instead of ripping it flush to the trailer side, I kept the other live edge for a "back-stop".

View attachment upload_2023-12-10_15-50-7.jpeg

Since I don't have a biscuit jointer, I splined the double 45 butt joint along a full-length table saw kerf cut for extra strength:

View attachment upload_2023-12-10_15-50-26.jpeg

I laboured over how to make some legs for it so that it would be useful off the trailer as well, and settled on a flaxseed hot-pack that you heat in the microwave, so... no strangely-shaped or angled legs:

View attachment upload_2023-12-10_15-53-15.jpeg

It's surprisingly stable; you don't need a large bag to pull this off. And you wouldn't necessarily need to use it for just a charcuterie board; a seed or bean bag would work for any type of fender shelf. Which is nice if you already have a charcuterie board and wish to entertain and serve at a tailgate party. Or simply need another level surface off the ground for shoes.

The finish is food-safe Danish Oil and the handles are 6 inch drawer pulls.

A word of caution: Live Edge can be surprisingly "live". In getting down to the final dimensions, some splits opened up that I had to close with glue and clamps. The handles also help keep it together. As with any wide board, there was a slight twist to it, which would have made fixed legs problematic because it would have rocked on a completely flat surface, or the fender. This is where the bags are nice. I'll be putting 3 small rubber feet on the bottom to create a self-levelling "tripod" for placing it on tables and kitchen counters.

2. SethB

SethB Ranger

Sweet!

I really like the innovative backsplash and leg supports. A beautiful piece of wood… it helps to start with good materials. Nice design and execution!

Kevin S likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Nicely done.

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Great idea.

Kevin S likes this.