Tables Can A Rotated Side Table Become An Official Camp Inn Option?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Les Izmore, Dec 3, 2020.

1. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

With the somewhat smaller footprint of the Gazelle vs Clam we found that the Dometic placed on the side table would push more against the wall of the Gazelle than it did on the Clam, which it barely touched.
    I had planned on getting some materials from the mother-ship to build a new one, but after looking our side table over, I decided to relocate, and center the mounts and leg pivot bracket to the sides of the table from the ends, and the trash basket holder from the side to the end.
    I also added the "dog" leg bracket to the frame for an always level side table. For that I used a 2" piece of HD aluminum angle. I located it where the trailer frame and the extended leg intersect, and marked that, and drilled a hole half way up the side of the trailer angle. Then held the vertical side of aluminum angle behind the trailer frame angle, with the horizontal side of the aluminum angle tight against the bottom of the vertical trailer angle. I marked the aluminum angle through the hole, then removed and drilled the hole in the aluminum angle. This allowed just one hole in the frame, since the bolt would hold the horizontal of the aluminum angle tight against the bottom of the frame vertical angle so it couldn't turn.
    One consequence that I didn't anticipate was that by relocating the mounts and leg bracket to opposite sides instead of opposite ends of the table, the edges of both sides were elevated about .75 - 1.0" higher than they had been with the hardware on the ends, and that was enough to prevent the galley hatch from closing with the table stored on top of the cooler. So at this point the side table can't be stowed in the galley, and will have to find a home in the cabin or TV.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
    Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I love this man, seriously --- you could probably keep the table orientation east/west as well, the leg brace would just be in th middle of the table. Put a pivit point where the brace connects, and it would go either way. East/west or North/South

I've got 3 campgrounds I go regularly where I need to find something to put under the leg, sine its too short to keep the table level yet reach the ground. This really is an elegant solution

Kevin likes this.
  3. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

I just tried to come up with my version of what the others here had done before me. I was trying keep both the leg bracket, and wall mounts centered on their respective edges for what I thought would be the best and balanced strength, but I didn't see anyone else mention the hatch closure issue when the table was stowed on top of the cooler as designed, which was part of my reason for posting this. I was hoping one of those who went before me would reply with their fix.
    A pivot in the middle is a very interesting concept. It would probably keep the bracket far enough away from the the edge to keep it from interfering with the hatch closure like mine does. I'd like to see your design of it when you get it done, and maybe copy it! Inquiring minds would like to see it, so keep us posted!!;)

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Oh great throw down the gauntlet that I need to do something ;) I need to step up my autodesk fusion skills.

I'm actually somewhat "unhappy" with myself --- I was getting pretty good with Fusion, but got sidetracked with business plans, pro-formas, and procedure manuals for a struggling barbershop. Teh tech stuff slid by the wayside. Now, starting a new tech-job I'm not sure I'll have the desire at the end of the day to do more with it.

We'll have to see :)

Kevin likes this.