Camping/hiking Gear? Help!

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Nebrclaw, May 20, 2022.

1. Nebrclaw

Nebrclaw Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I was hoping you all could give me some tips on camping/hiking gear. My fella and I really want to get into hiking and camping, it seems like a great way to be active and have fun/travel on the cheap. Unfortunately we both have NOTHING (no tent, no warm jackets, no hiking shoes, no sleeping bags, nada). I don't want to go blow a ton of money on camping stuff, but it seems like you sort of have to get a few things to make it possible, so:
    1. Ideas on buying this stuff used?
    2. What are the must haves for outdoors stuff? What can we do without?
    3. What are decent brands/stores for boots, jackets (we live in the northeast), tents, etc.? What matters and what doesn't (e.g. do tent brands matter? do sleeping bag brands matter? or is it all the same?)
    I'm definitely a proponent of buy it for life, so I'm ok spending a bit more for something I will only have to buy once. I just have no idea on this stuff, any help would be appreciated- thanks!

2. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

Tent- Hilleberg (most can be set up dry in the rain)
    Stove- MSR Multifuel (works in the cold)
    Bag- Marmot(seem to be accurate on temperature range)
    Shoes- personal choice (try on with the weight of socks you will always wear, replace every 3-5 years regardless of tread wear)
    Water- UV plus tablets
    Rain- Two piece rainsuit (none really breath)
    Hiking Poles (two for mountains, one for mostly flat)
    Pack -Osprey (used to be good, make sure to have it fitted by a knowledgeable person, understand the adjustments, Zero the shoulder straps it every-time you put it on)
    Sleeping Pad- Thermorest (thick, ¾ length)

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Kevin S likes this.
  3. Jerry Pilcher

Jerry Pilcher Newbie

I will share some tips for hiking on the cheap with you.
    • A monthly Budget will reduce your cost.
    • Eat Before you go Shopping for the Resupply.
    • Send Boxes!
    • Avoid the Bar and Brewery.
    • Hiker Boxes and Dollar Stores.
    • Split a Hotel Room.
    • Perfect the Art of the Nearo.

Kevin S likes this.

4. If you are near an REI, you can rent some of the stuff you would need for camping. If you are buying from them, they will take it back up to year from the purchase for a refund. And they do have garage sales where they will sale returned goods and somtimes, it was only lightly used. Do a Google search for a consignment store that specializes in outdoor gear in your area.

I use Leki hiking poles to hike with and wear Vassque boots (and boots are persnal choice). Sleeping bag you gotta know how cold are you going to camp in and make sure the bag is rated for those temps. Headlamp for being able to use a light hands free so you have both hands to do a job.

Tents we always stuck with Eureka after going through cheaper ones.

Kevin S likes this.
  5. PatrickEDiaz

PatrickEDiaz Newbie

The most essential camping gears are: tent, sleeping bags, stoves, Bags.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  6. Martin

Martin Guest

Oh, thank you, that's good advice.

7. Fahimden

Fahimden Newbie

I'm new to hiking and I'm looking for advice on what equipments to buy. I'm not sure how much I'm going to go hiking, so I don't want to spend a lot of money at first.
    I think it's a smart way to try out different types of equipments from Rent Via Ferrata Equipment Bled | Rent Climbing Gear | Altitude-Activities.com and see what you like before making a big purchase. It's also a good option if you're only going to be hiking/camping occasionally.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  8. Fahimden: If it is just hiking, and not overnighting (backpacking) you are looking at, the list is relatively short and inexpensive. But it is not to be taken lightly either.

Having started in the 70's with full-on leather hiking boots strapped to my feet, I will tell you that they are nearly always overkill, and will make your time on the trail miserable. I have since improved my arsenal and have done week-long high-altitude mountain treks carrying a 30-35lb load with only non waterproof trail runners. They provide just as much support, greater agility, and less fatigue on your feet and legs. They dry quicker. Gore-Tex footwear designed to keep the water out, only keeps the water in, never dry out, and for the most part are to be avoided. I could go on, but this is as in-depth as it gets: Trail Runners Vs Hiking Boots: A 30 Year Perspective | The Hiking Life None of my back-country group wear them (hiking boots):
    View attachment upload_2023-10-23_12-3-20.jpeg and I can't stress this one enough.

Many eschew trekking poles, but they are leg and hip savers. They help you cross streams, balancing on logs and awkward trails, and provide greater ground-covering efficiency.

A good light day-pack, with first aid (and knowledge about how to use it), navigation (beyond your planned route), signaling (like lights, whistle or satellite device... don't count on phone service), hydration and water purification gear. Lightweight minimalist gear designed to get you through the worst possible unplanned overnight on the trail, is also stuff that I don't hit the trail without, whether it's for 1/2 an hour or all day. You only have to be out of earshot to be truly "in the wilderness and alone."

Multi-night backpacking in different terrain, different seasons, and varying times and distances each has its own set of very specific gear and skill requirements, which are quite involved. As does car-camping in its own way.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    Kevin S and dustinp like this.
  9. SethB

SethB Ranger

REI has pretty good checklists, including this:
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/day-hiking-checklist.html

Kevin S, Steve and Karen and dustinp like this.
  10. Seth: Thanks for expanding and clarifying with the lists. Though I don’t necessarily make much of a distinction between a 2 hr and a 12 hr hike like REI does. A 2 hr hike started late in the day, or under difficult circumstances can easily turn into a 12 hour one. Or a multi-day.

Given some of the activities that I engage in (whitewater canoeing, canyoneering) I’m a regular consumer of “wilderness travel-gone-bad” stories and published info by SAR; I absolutely don’t want to be “that guy” having to ‘splain my bad decision(s). During my consumption I have discovered that among those partaking in far less riskier activities gone bad, many have died on trail (or off trail) within sight of civilization, or they can hear nearby foot and vehicle traffic, but were unable to rescue themselves or others. Proximity to help is an important consideration when managing risk in any activity. But it can also give some a false sense of security and induce complacency. “Wilderness” is effectively any place help can’t get to you easily.

Add to the gear lists: a comprehensive plan (for you and others who are not hiking with you), an honest assessment of one’s fitness, skills, and knowledge, an understanding of the terrain and potential environmental conditions and changes that could be encountered, and not taking with you an over-reliance on “things” in your pack or on your belt to get you out of a jam. In short, don’t over-estimate yourself, and don’t under-estimate what is out there. Whether it’s simply a short jaunt or a challenging multi-nighter at elevation, both of those miscalculations frequently seem to be the main ingredients for many SARs and preventable wilderness incidents. And a real damper on what you went “out there” for.

dustinp, Kevin S and SethB like this.
  11. SethB

SethB Ranger

@MartinClark I have these questions:
    1. What brand of tent would work best inside a CampInn teardrop trailer in your experience?
    2. Which backpacks or other gear works best for trailer-based camping?
    3. Since the content you posted is AI-generated, are you a human being or a bot?
    [​IMG]

Van_and_Terri and Kevin S like this.
  12. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

I have always had good luck with Eureka tents... still have mine from 30 yrs ago !

Tour 931 and MartinClark like this.
  13. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Marmot Tents and sleeping bags are my favorites. Big Agnes for insulated pads. REI does have some good tents. Their Quarterdome is my favorite.

dustinp and Kevin S like this.
  14. manuel palmer

manuel palmer Newbie

So many people jump into new hobbies, buy a bunch of camping gear, than only use it once or twice.
    I'd suggest renting equipment from your local REI for at least a few trips before deciding to buy your own.
    That being said, there are a few existing threads on the forums about camping gear, if you do a search. :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    Chuckwagon and Kevin S like this.
  15. Katrixpo

Katrixpo Newbie

Getting into hiking and camping sounds like a fantastic adventure! To save some cash, buying used gear is a smart move. Check out local outdoor gear consignment stores or online platforms like eBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace. You can find quality gear at a fraction of the cost.
    For must-haves, focus on a sturdy tent, comfortable hiking boots, warm jackets, and sleeping bags. These are essentials for safety and comfort.
    Since you're in the Northeast, invest in waterproof and insulated gear to stay warm and dry. Layering is key for variable weather conditions. If you're looking for outfit ideas, check out these hiking outfits for some inspiration.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Kevin S likes this.
  16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That's good advice
    Some areas are much more active than others though. Where are you located?

Kevin S likes this.