CAMP INN Thank you!

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Dave and Becky Merritt, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Our camper FREEDOM spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at Camp Inn. Freedom is a 2007 Ultra 550 SUV #183. We came up to have a new flat screen installed, and then Marty and Craig did maintenances. They spent long hours to get us back on the road. They went above and beyond what others would do. David and I want to publicly thank you. Camp Inn is a SUPER company. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    Rebecca Merritt
    Lebanon, IN
    PS It rained heavy on us all the way home. We were DRY :)

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Wow, number 183. Congratulations on getting in early to get one of these fabulous trailers. I wish I had known about them 10 years ago when I retired.
    I would be really interested to know how your exterior looks and what you have done to maintain it. The big debate about wax, protectant or patina. I'm still stressing a little about keeping it up without a lot of work. Every spot bothers me. I do not want to have to Walbernize and buff. I want patina but am afraid of what could happen on the way to patina.

3. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

Hi Pat,
    We will be picking up our new 560 SUV in May. I read your post about the patina finish and that has been a concern of ours. We were wondering how you have made out with achieving the patina finish?

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Patina:
    Pat, you probably don't want to start down the road of Polishing/waxing trying to keep it shiny. It's a lot of work and upkeep and you're suppose to use it, not worry about how shiny it is.

As i've posted before and it works for me, was the little spray wash stalls, Brown Bear and others near by.

I try to do it on the way back from a trip if it needs it. It's the last stop, before home. I go through the full works, the pre-rinse (make SURE you DON'T spay the engine one - although I did and didn't leave any marks), soap brush, soap hi-pressure, rinse and then the wax.

I'm led to believe, based on other forum members experience, that these places use different chems, so you might try it a little step at a time or on your car.

Anyway, usually costs about $10-13, I carry 2 rolls of quarters around, back up for laundry too, it works fine for the last 5+ yrs. I don't believe I have the patina, but I'm not spending hours trying to make it shine...

When I had "Nellie" I did wash her with the car soap and wax and did "Le Droppe" too, and worked fine.

I used:
    [​IMG]

Soap and wax/shine work great and does put a protective cover and mud/dirt slides right off. Don't need the sprayer or Tire cleaner.

Here's a pic from about 2 weeks ago (Silver Falls), hard to see, but still shiny, sorta.

[​IMG]

Some spotting yes, but due to putting cover on while it was still wet and left for a few weeks, now covered up with Decal on back hatch. Water spots come off with the shine/wax stuff, just wipes right off. Like Armor All does on the car interiors.

but for me? the Stall/hand washes and soap/waxes do the trick..

While I'd prefer the "Patina", I 'More' prefer it just look clean and nice.. it's for outdoor's use, not something to put up on the fireplace mantle...

IMNSHO:
    If it ain't "scarred it ain't used" and doesn't reflect the travel adventure scars it should have. (bear claws/scratches right Jenn?).. heheh

Enh? just my thoughts on it..

fun eh?

5. Quinny

Quinny Novice

I'm hoping for a patina too. Just like wrinkles are laugh lines and grey hair is to be embraced!

6. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

We've seen all types of finishes on different Camp Inns - from heavily encrusted to mirror bright. It all depends on what you want. Jim gave our Spamalot a polish after the maiden voyage. Lots of hard work, but she looked nice. Since then, she gets a bath after every trip, but no polish. We think she looks just fine, but then we're antique dealers and for us patina is highly desirable.

Camp on

Sue and Jim says

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

We will be going for patina as well! A visit to the car wash (self service) now and then to keep her clean is what we are doing!

8. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

I will NEVER remove the protective layer of dirt on my camper. What's next? Showers on a camping trip???

Wake up people!!!

9. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

We have a portable shower and a potty. Comes in darned handy sometimes, especially if you've been on the road for a very long time. We also carry water purification tablets and first aid...and wine (which Jenn refuses to share, but that's just fine).

We like to remove the dirt after a long trip, you like to keep it on and some folks love that mirror polish. It's all good.

Sue