Bokashi Composting On The Road?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Steve and Karen, Jan 5, 2024.

1. Ok... this one's sitting a little bit out in left field, but...

I have been kinda bothered by how much waste we generate on the road. (This is underscored by how little we actually generate while at home, being dyed-in-the wool recyclers, grow-yer-own gardeners, and traditional composters.) I know our site fees pay for garbage removal in campgrounds. But anything I can do to minimize my eco-footprint while traipsing around in someone else's backyard would be somewhat of a conscience-clearer for me.

Many parks and campgrounds are getting on board with separate tin/plastic/glass recycling. Which is good. But compostables have always ended up in the regular garbage. Which is a waste. Literally.

I had been noodling some sort of transportable organics composting solution and came across "Bokashi", which is a Japanese anaerobic composting process.

The advantages over traditional composting (heat+O2+Microbes) are that it can consume dairy and meat leftovers. It is being encouraged in the camping community in N.Z. as part of a push to reduce overall camping waste there.

Bokashi requires a "starter" (Bokashi bran) as it is a fermentation process, which isn't a problem to source. But many of the kits available are designed for home use and would be oversized for travel.

Has anybody explored this, and / or can come up with a DIY solution that would be effective and not be too too bothersome to transport?

Because it is an anaerobic process, whatever container is used should have an interior divider which squashes down the scraps to keep O2 away from what is on the bottom. However, because it is a fermentation process, CO2 would be produced and would presumably need to be vented, either continually or occasionally, along with the tasks of adding the bran and keeping moisture levels ideal for fermentation.

(I tried to add a couple links to this post re the "art" of Bokashi, and what N.Z. is doing but the links wouldn't take. You'll have to surf on your own.)

Input welcome, but no jokes about the illegality of transporting a distillery across state lines.

dustinp and Ken & Peggy like this.
  2. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

I believe that could be added to the home still option as installed on the tongue, here.

Attached Files:

dustinp and Sweeney like this.