Battery Bigger Battery

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by rrunneals, Oct 5, 2012.

1. rrunneals

rrunneals Novice

Hi. Does anybody know if 550 can take a bigger battery then the one supplied with the trailer. I have a CPAP machine that I need to run off of the 12 volt battery at night and I don't want it running out of power after the first night. Thanks

2. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Hi

I think the battery is 72ah or perhaps larger with the AGM battery. Just looked at my wife's CPAP machine and it says that it draws 4.18 amps 12V. So 10 hours of use would only give 1 night or 2 based on the actual larger AGM battery size.

This would be a good place to add a solar system for charging or a small Honda generator or alternatively you hook up the tow vehicle for a charge. I think the charger is 5 or 6amp, maybe Cary can chime in. So on 120V you would need 8+ hours or so for a recharge. Not sure how long it would take off of the tow vehicle. Another good question for Cary or Craig.

85W solar panel at full output would need about 6 hours to put back in 480 watts of power.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I know Jenn has the biggest battery Camp-Inn offers in her 550. There is the standard one and then the bigger one.

I seem to remember Cary telling me they tend to install the bigger batteries for people using CPAPs or who have different scenarios other than just weekend camping. He can give you more info on that. I would give them a shout. Otherwise, the options Gary has given are good ones.

Good luck!

4. slumry

slumry Novice

I have to support two CPAP’s and have spent some time trying to workout the logistics of how to do this for up to five days of dry camping. First thing to remember is to forget about the humidifier when using a battery. Also, if you use your main battery, be conservative and don’t accidently drain it too far and cause damage to the battery. On a full charge, your main battery can be counted on for at least two days; however, you will be juggling your CPAP requirements with everything else. Also, not all CPAPs draw the same and high pressure setting can have a big impact.

My solution was to try to separate my regular day-to-day power needs from the CPAP’s. I have found that the Respironics Battery Pack, works with most CPAPs, is good for two days and possibly three, YMMV. It will shut off at certain voltage. This is not as scary as it sounds, your subconscious is very good at dealing with such an event. The battery is expensive, but is light weight enough that you can put them in the front storage compartment. A down side is that they require an AC source to charge them. Once I have exhausted the Battery Packs, I switch to the main battery, which has been kept charged with a solar cell if out for more than three days.

5. rrunneals

rrunneals Novice

Has anybody tried putting a second battery on the tongue of the trailer, maybe with a switch to select which battery is being used. Or maybe only use the second battery with the Cpap inside the top cabinet.

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

This would be a good question for Cary. Your tongue weight should be 10% of your total trailer weight, so mounting a battery this far forward on the trailer would probably be bad for the tongue weight.
    There may be other locations that are better.

7. Rrunneals: I have contemplated having an extra battery or two that I bring along only when I'm dry camping for an extended time period. On those occasions I'd set them under the trailer in their own cases. It would be a bit of a hassle to set up and take down, but it would only come into play on those occasions when I'm without power for 3 nights or more. For me, that might make more sense than carrying all of that extra weight around for the few occasions that I needed it.

If you search this forum, you'll see Evan's battery project. You'll also see some discussions around the pros and cons of solar panels, generators, hooking up the car to charge when necessary, etc. Lots of opinions!

I've also contemplated the extent that I might be able to reduce my use of power when dry camping as well.

8. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Rick, I believe Rruneals is getting a 550 though. We have done the battery project along with Evan, but we both have the 560 and the 560 is the only trailer with the space between the axels that can accommodate the extra batteries. The 550 doesn't have the space underneath. Good thought though.

9. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Ok, catch up time. The trailers with the small battery like Evan and Sarah's are older models. We no longer install the smaller battery and only use the larger battery format that used to be the option. Our optional AGM battery is not a larger battery but a longer life battery.

The custom battery boxes that Mick and Sarah and Evan have done will not work with a trailer built today because of the larger battery used. That space under a 560 will not accommodate the larger sized batteries and the batteries must be the same size.

The tongue has no usable space for mounting things on. Also it is not load rated so would not be able to handle structurally the load of a battery (if there was room). Plus, this would be a bad location for a battery due to weight and balance.

If you want more battery you would need to bring along one in a marine battery box and plug it into to the trailer. Keep in mind, as I stated before, the pony battery must be the exact same size, age and construction. Ideally the same brand and even the same batch if possible.

For this reason, solar panels and Honda generators start sounding really good. Or simply letting the car run for a hour or so when the battery gets down.

Cary

10. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Cary, a couple questions about replacing a battery:
    (We have a 2008 550 Ultra, which has the smaller, standard battery, I think.)

If I replace it with an AGM battery, will it require some adaptation/movement of the side wall to accomodate the larger size?

Also, will the built in CampInn charger work to charge the new type (AGM) battery?

What size/type AGM battery should I be looking for as a replacement for my old one?

Thanks