CA Private CG Big Sur - Fernwood Resort Campground

Discussion in 'West' started by TearDragger, Jan 25, 2019.

1. TearDragger

TearDragger Junior Ranger Donating Member

We recently spent a few nights in Big Sur this January for my wife and I to celebrate our birthdays. We stayed at the Fernwood Resort Campground in Big Sur very close to Pfeiffer State Park.

This was just our first time at this campground, but we can highly recommend it. The sites were large and had electrical, and even though it had been raining for weeks prior to our arrival, it was very manageable and not too crazy muddy. The Newer bathrooms on the north side of the river were brand new, and for the first time ever, I was embarrassed to walk into the showers with my muddy shows, and left them outside (as clean or cleaner floors than home!).

The place seemed pretty full, but was very quiet and all people were friendly. Maybe it was because it was winter and the river was high, but all we heard was the nice white noise of the river. It might be a little noisier in summer with less water in the river.

We picked up some fresh cioppino at Phil's Fish Market and a couple fresh artichokes in Moss Landing on the way down the coast for first night's dinner. Great times!

IMG_6444.jpg IMG_6447.jpg IMG_6448.jpg IMG_6442.jpg

Kevin S, SethB, LisaNKevin and 7 others like this.
  2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I've been wondering how this campground/resort was, so thanks for the report.

They host a little music festival, if I recall, but I can't make it this year. Am sure the campground sells out before they even announce the festival.

TearDragger likes this.
  3. ssackett

ssackett Novice

Thanks for the report. We stayed at Pfeiffer State Park during low season a few years back. Would be nice to have options in the area. Music festival sounds fun too!

Kevin S and TearDragger like this.
  4. ssackett

ssackett Novice

Nice pictures! Do you recall which site you had at Fernwood?

Spring 2021, the Parks Service cancelled our reservation at Pheiffer Big Sur at the last moment for tree survey, and we were able to get a small but nice spot (site #4) at Fernwood. We really enjoyed the campground, beach and swimming hole, not to mention the bar patio for after dinner cocktails.

Sadly, Parks service did the same thing this year, for campground maintenance. :( Fernwood didn't have a good RV site and wouldn't let us put a TD in a tent site during high season.

We might check out Big Sur Campground and Cabins as an alternative. They get good reviews but have raised prized significantly. Will report more if we stay there.

Kevin S likes this.