Are we having fun yet?

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Ladymc, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Decided to take Mini Mc out again this past weekend on a spur of the moment trip. We never plan ahead, it's always very impromptu. Left on a Friday afternoon of all times when everyone else wants to "get out of Dodge." Had to run a few errands and got caught in Friday afternoon San Antonio traffic which delayed us, but hey, no biggy, we're retired, what's the rush?. I thought, "Self, you better try to get a campground site." Got the last one at Lost Maples State Park here in Texas about 2 hrs. away, so that's where we're headed... Got there, set up, it was gorgeous the stars were bright, big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Left the next day around 10:30 headed to Davis Mountains State Park WAY out west...it took about 7 hrs. to get there. Almost didn't keep my 3 night reservation I had made at the last minute on Friday. Wish I hadn't...

We had been warned by a lady at Lost Maples about the javelinas at that park. For those unfamiliar with this critter - they're a wild pig. We got there about 6:30 after the office had closed at 5, , see a warning sign " Mountain Lions have been seen in this area - BE AWARE!"...hmmmm....So I got the paperwork off the board and found our site that I had requested close to the bathroom and had...no shade (of course!) Not to worry, we set up the "shade thingy" that Evan has and I can't remember the name of - it took him about 5 mins., but after 30 mins. we had it up - 1st time so we were happy.

So we get the bikes out and get everything set up, sun's beginning to set, our dog Jack needs to run after all that riding. The gears on one bike are broken...right....I take off with him and started chatting with a few neighbors about those javelinas..."Don't leave your dog out at night.." Oh no, never would..."Don't shoo those javelina's away, they're near sighted and can charge." ...great...

I get back to the site and decide to fix the requisite chili dogs...enter javelinas....I had put Jack's dog food and water out and said javelina found it...getting his possible rabid germs all over Jack's bowl while I'm cooking hotdogs - which he smells.... (that pan & bowl got sterilized). He's about 6 ft. away....

We finally finished dinner and dishes with one eye on the pig and one eye on dinner (in the dark.) We thought we'd watch the stars....uh...no...everyone's inside their RV and/or tent and NO ONE is sitting out like they were at Lost Maples - once again the javelinas...so into bed we go which is fine - we even had TV way out west with cable - no internet as paid for, but I lived...

I woke up at 3 AM and talked Bill into packing it in and come back home - the news had said there were going to be wind gusts up to 60 mph through the mountains and we HAD to get home because just as we pulled into the campground area my friend and neighbor called to tell us that our 5th wheel RV had water running all over the ground (we had a water leak.) They had turned the water off and there was nothing to do till Monday anyway - our mobile RV repairman wasn't available till then.

So, we pulled out at 3:30 A.M. drove all the way home and got here at 12:30 PM, backed Mini Mc into the drive, hooked up the water and are comfy cozy with our two RV's...except...

On this trip I also discovered that my computer screen has a big black spot (shapped like a leaf of all things) on the screen, I lost my watch AND MY IPHONE WITH MY LIFE ON IT! 1. Broken Bike, 2. Broken 5th wheel, 3. Broken computer screen, 4. Lost Watch, 5. Lost Iphone....SIGH! (I CHOOSE to not let this get me down.... :) )

I have absolutely no idea where that phone is...Mini is all unpacked, van's unpacked, I've had a great nap, called the RV repairman and he'll be here at 9:30 in the morniung...are we having fun YET? (...answer...YES!) The mountains were gorgeous (I have lots of pics.) But I can't promise I can share them because I'm evidently photo challenged...but I'll try...who knows, we may be out again in a week or so - I can definately recommend Lost Maples State Park in Texas - it's beautiful and secluded. Ft. Davis is gorgeous and good, but be aware...

PS: We did many Show & Tell's and one is extremely serious...at least he seemed to be - said it was just what he was looking for - had 2 homes, 2 horse trailers, a 5th wheel and wants to downsize - we even emptied it out so he could see if he fit - all 6'3" of him...all in a grocery store parking lot - got his name and number - he got a lot more than that...so we'll see...See ya'll down the road! (I'm going OUT to eat!)

2. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Linda, we really enjoy reading your accounts of your travels (and your teardrop purchasing process). Good for you for being willing to take off at a drop of a hat. We wish you and Bill continuing safe and fun travels and hope our paths cross!
    Kathy

3. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Thanks Kathy! Me too! We'd love to meet up with ya'll...Hopeing it won't be too long for you to get yours...Washington is a LONG way away, but it's on our list.

4. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Linda,
    Great story. I can relate to the miseries. Though not to that pigs. Steve

5. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Linda great story and info if i were to give that much info it would take a week typing with one finger my posts are short and sweet.I think Evan needs to change the format so we can talk no typing what do you think.Steve :)

6. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Voice recognition software?

7. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Good idea Joan. :)

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  9. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Linda,
    those pigs are pretty nasty have they just given up on trying to control them? We ran into them on Goose Island and I know down there they try to reduce the population. Camping does have its ups and downs.

10. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Evan I knew if I asked you would come up with something it took me 3 min. to write this.Thanks Steve :)

11. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Linda, I'm reading "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat-Moon and he describes stopping to eat along the road and encountering a javelina. I'd never heard of one before and now I've read about them twice in a week. Hope that doesn't mean anything sinister!
    Kathy

12. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Steve,
    It's a good thing I type 85 WPM - I like to talk (can ya tell?) If Evan got a voice activation tool on here no one would get a word in edgewise if I ever got started! So we better stick to typing!

Pat,
    GOOSE ISLAND TOO? Man I was wanting to go there soon! I may call that park before going to ck. out the pig problem....I hate those javelina's!

13. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

All most anything is good if roasted properly. A good sauce helps.

14. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Linda thanks for the warning.Now wait a minuet Linda i think all of your interesting posts that i want to be part of are making me a better typer so thanks again.Steve :)

15. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Linda,
    I may have said it wrong the pigs were on the St. Charles bay where Goose Island is but we did not see them in the park. the park is very nice.

16. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Pat- Yeah I've been there and saw no javelina's but I was visiting friends 3 yrs. ago. Glad to hear it!

Steve- Try texting on an IPhone with two thumbs like I'm doing now- that's when you know you're good! :p

17. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Linda I dont think I will ever be that good. :)

18. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Jenn,

It's been an ordeal, but the mobile RV repairman finally found out where the leak was coming from - a valve in the commode. It was fresh water leaking tho, not black water. But we got it fixed yesterday actually (he had to let things dry out underneath before coming back.) I had him ck. out our Air Conditioner before the summer heat hits us and all's well there too. Yesterday it was 95 degrees here and it's still Spring....wildfires are seemingly all over Texas, so we're sitting still for a while with the Raindrop.

19. starlight

starlight Novice

We haven't had a firestorm over here in SoCal for awhile, so we're probably due for one this year. Aside from the obvious dangers, wildfires are tough on my patients with lung issues and for the folks who end up in the shelters. Linda, I hope you stay safe where you're at.

20. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

I'm not worried starlight where we are - there's a big lake (Canyon Lake) 1/2 mile away, the Guadalupe River 1/4 mile away and others. This area's pretty safe. But we ARE under a burn ban and have been for several months. We need rain!