IN Anderson Indiana / Mounds State Park

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Sweeney, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Indina is full of wierdness. We have 2 state parks that are call "Mounds" --- one In Anderson, another near Brookville, mentioned here.

I visited Mounds State Park in Anderson Indiana. It's a smaller park and has a rather spartan campground. Some 60 in the main loop are serviced by a single shower house and 1 vault toilet. The sites are all electric only, and there are about half a dozen water spigots scattered throughout the campground. These are intended for fillup, not for hooking up and leaving your hoses in place. Which is sometimes done :(

There is a loop that backs up directly to the Anderson Municipal Airport. You are separated from viewing the runway by nothing more than a chain link fence and a few hundred feet. There are 50-100 operations a day with mostly Single Engine planes, with a few multi's. No jets while we were there. There's also a train track that passes the area...so it isn't necessarily quiet. But, plans and trains are two of my favorite things, so I'm not one to ask. The Airport is mostly busy during the day.

Several trails cut throughout the park, offering a few hills but nothing extreme. I would call it easy to moderate. Very straight and well groomed.

The White river also passes directly next to the park, and there is a canoe launch which is also usable for fishing.

All in all, I don't see this park as a destination. But very nice for locals and maybe a travel stop. Its only a few minutes off 69 north of Indianapolis, Noblesville, Fishers area. Anderson has no major tourist attraction mostly its a rust belt town, most famous for being close to the World's largest ball of paint in Alexandria.

Local businesses worthy of a visit:
    • Gene's Root Beer - A short drive from the park. Great root beer, hotdogs, burgers, fries, onion rings...typical fare that you would expect.
    • Uranus Fudge - yah. I'm told, the best fudge comes from here.

2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I guess I skipped over that part. We didn't visit them this time, perhaps that's why they didn't stick in mind.

If mounds are your thing, Serpent Mound in Ohio is an interesting little side trip, I've been there and can attest that it is a far more interesting archeological site. Not too far away from Cincinatti. 90 minutes from "Hocking Hillls" state park in Ohio which also is home to "Old Mans Cave"

There's your add for a much more interesting park than Mounds in Anderson :) It's not a bad place, but definitely not a destination park.

Kevin likes this.
  4. Kviergut

Kviergut Newbie

I love Mounds state park. It's just a short drive from us, and we go hiking there all the time. It's pretty easy hiking and is a good after work activity. You can read more about my thoughts here (My wife wrote a post on this part not too long ago.)