IN State Park Brookville Lake / Mounds

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Sweeney, May 8, 2022.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Boy, I hate to give a bad review to any park....especially in Indiana state park but Brookeville Lake / Mounds SRA really let me down this weekend.

Keep in mind, there are at least 3 campground on Brookville lake -- Quakertown and Whitewater Memorial being the other 2....this is not about them...specifically mounds (Not to be confused with Mounds in Anderson, which is fine!)

First we get there and find the tent campers decided to use our fire ring instead of theirs becuase their site was unlevel. They were of course gone when we arrived so it was easier for us just to change spots. We pack back to the campground entry and move a few sites down. This isn't against the park -- but rude people, or, people who don't know better.

The second site was fine --- dry, level --- so we started to unpack. Down to the shower use to be greeted by locked doors. This is in May (7'th to be exact) but the shower houses were supposed to be open. A sign on the door says "sorry for the inconvenience" then referrs us to bath-houses 1-3 --- no site #'s, we had to figure that out on our own.

So...we went backed and asked to move again. Please bear in mind, the sign on the door said the shower house was closed from April 15'th through May 3'rd....it was the 7'th.

I asked the gate attendant why she didn't tell us on the first or second trip that the showers were closed? She just pointed at a sign hanging on the shack...about 5 feet away from her window. It said "May 3'rd" as well. I wasn't in the mood...we got our 3'rd site....just make the best of it.

Its a little thing that is a big deal -- we' were already having a rough trip --- 3 camp sites to get 1 that was OK -- kind of a bad deal.

The rest of the bad review comes from the fact the back-in sites were smallish pads, and that so many of them were not even close to level -- some I'd be afraid to unhook --- afraid my camper would go down in the ravines behind the pads.

If you go here --- caveat emptor. Read the site description carefully, and don't expect the staff to be helpful...unless you define "helpful" as pointing at a sign after you ask.

The highlite of the trip? The Liberty Bell restaurant about 8 miles north in Liberty Indiana -- great breakfast, and prices I would have found acceptable 3 years ago --- today, they were a bargain.

Ken & Peggy likes this.