Alcan Cover Alcan Cover

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by mcjimjam, Jul 13, 2013.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Just curious about something, and maybe Cary, Craig, or Betsey can chime in:
    Mindy (Christopher's better half) mentioned to us, that in cooler weather, her clothing, which she stores in the forward compartment at the head of the bed, was getting damp from condensation. We haven't noticed that problem with our 550, and the only difference is the Alcan cover. We have it, and they don't. Perhaps the Alcan cover is providing a bit of insulation in that compartment, which reduces the condensation. Any thoughts?

2. 1Door

1Door Novice

We aren't the "Big Wigs"...but, chiming in, our 500 Special has NOT had any condensation issues (only a little dew in the side windows...which is totally expected from "breathing all night"). We have the Alcan cover, but no front storage box. I have NEVER felt any drafts at my head while sleeping (probably because we don't have the teardrop windows) and we would surmise that the foam backing on the Alcan does help with insulation...I wonder...do C and M securely close the front storage hatches???

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Susan & Alan, temperature has a lot to do with condensation. Since M&C are in Alaska, I'd guess that their experience with condensation might differ from yours.

4. 1Door

1Door Novice

Alan here;
    Evan, something to consider;
    I am well aware of temperature involvement when condensation is involved, actually it is a relative temp, inside verses outside so to speak. Liquid forms under given conditions and condensation is condensation. Here is Florida it is warmer, but the humidity is very high, so the relationships still exists. Also, if it didn't then drinks here would not sweat, or form a condensation layer on our glasses, etc... and I assure you they do. I suggest one consider relative temps instead of local or other fixed ideas.

5. Cmckinnon

Cmckinnon Newbie

Chris & Mindy here,
    Some times I leave the front outside storage compartment doors open but usually they are closed and locked. Most of our camping has been in cooler temperatures. I'm sure the additional insulation of an Alcan cover would reduce condensation in our our interior storage. We will be camping in warm temperatures this weekend. May even get to use the AC for the first time. I will keep an eye on the condensation and let you know if the problem continues.