Ac Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Randy, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Is there any recommended maintenance for the air conditioner? Freon? Filters?

Thanks,

Randy

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

The main thing is to keep the back of the condenser washed and let that wash water flush out the drain plumbing. It is important to keep that drain flushed out and running clear. Don't overload it with full power water hose, it is possible to over run the drain system.

Other than drain system the only other thing is the lint filter in the cabin that just slides out the side of the face of the AC unit. Check that once in awhile.

Cary

3. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Thank you Cary!

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Cary, is there a removal procedure for the AC unit itself published? If you rinse the unit regularly it will certainly help. But in my part of the world (lazyville, at the intersection of "Doit Tamara street" and "Idunfeelikeit lane") having an abundance of cottonwood fluff in the condenser coil in is strong possibility.

To Randy and others, we hose out as part of our routine maintenance and never had a problem keeping things nice and tidy. I sold my CI a few years ago, and am waiting for my new one to be built --- so please pardon the sound of both "experience" and "question" here -- since I don't have the ability to walk out and inspect mine...yet :D

To remove the AC, and _deep_ clean you need to remove the AC unit completely...I assume the "hat" or cover has to be removed, as well as the galley hatch, and interior woodwork...Are there other dragons? After the obvious does it just lift out? I assume ladders, multiple straps and a winch system will make that a lot less dangerous than dropping the AC on the roof. How do you install them in the nest?

I'm also Asking in part because, not only do I anticipate cottonwood, but I am considering an easy-start modification to the AC itself. Are you aware of anyone who might have attempted this? Not a hard start capacitor, but the MicroAir easy start. I think my big qustion is, inside the AC cabinet itself, is there enough room for the module.

I used a micro-air on a large roof unit -- Totally worth the expense! My little 2800 watt generator started and ran the unit fine. 15kBTU I think. Without the soft start, the generator over-load and shut off. The 5000 BTU is a lot less abusive than that big roof unit...but margin of safety and not having the obnoxious "rev up" every time the compressor starts would be awesome...

5. I, too, am looking for any guidance on removing the AC unit. In our case, not so much for maintenance, but because we never use it and are looking to modify. I'm hesitant to remove the top cover, but it does appear that there may be two screws that are holding it in place. I'm wondering if I remove those whether it will easily pull out into the cabin space. Anybody have experience or thoughts?

6. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Call Cary at Camp-Inn.

JohnC likes this.
  7. campdude

campdude Ranger

I have to ask ..why modify it ...even if you do not use it?

8. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

More room for storage.

9. campdude

campdude Ranger

lol...I don't get it....I mean I understand the concept but, ...lighten the load...that is why we get tear drops and not class A's or class C's

10. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

That AC unit weighs about 45 lbs. If they remove it and store clothes or shoes in its place, they would unlikely to be gaining weight.

11. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

It is impractical to try to remove the AC to convert the area to storage. Making the area water tight to keep the stored items dry would be a task, one that we don't have a good solution for.

Cary

12. campdude

campdude Ranger

Lipster....when I said "lighten the load" I did NOT mean as in mass/weight....I was referring to a little camper vs. a class A or class C where you take everything with you. The whole reason for a teardrop is compact, light, and minimal. It is interesting to me to see people pack as much as they can into the trailer (i.e. trying to remove the AC for that bit of extra space). If a trailer came with AC, leave it in there for those couple of times that you could use it in high humidity/high temperature situations. And as Mr. Winch has stated and advised from the factory, it is impractical to try and remove and make into storage.

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

In the winter a lot of heat escapes through the A/C unit and it is the source of most of the noise you hear from the outside. At times I wish mine didn’t have one. But at this moment I’m in the Carlsbad KOA and glad I have it.

Kevin S and campdude like this.
  14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Thats possibly a good thing....the CI's are TIGHT and having a source of air exchange is probably a good idea...

We pretty much put ours away when the snow flies --- Aluminum and salt is a bad combination --- temperatures down to 25 degrees have never been a problem....especially with a heated mattress pad, and a ceramic heater --- with those I think we could probably drop to 20 and still be perfectly fine.....not sure i'd want to be out any lower than that...

15. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

Tried to use our A/C on a most recent trip. It seemed really loud which made it difficult to sleep and we ended turning if off (though did cool the TD). Not sure if ours needs some TLC or being that it's a Crosley from a 2006 build that's just the way they are. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm not apposed to replacing the unit for a quiet one.
    Thanks....

campdude likes this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I think they are all loud….but, as long as they are loud and consistent….not rattle, or fans buzzing randomly….I can take it.

I’ve become dependent on fans running to sleep….especially at campgrounds with inconsiderate neighbors….

campdude likes this.
  17. campdude

campdude Ranger

You and my wife....she sleeps with a fan since she was a kid...white noise...me give me a train whistle...it still won't wake me.

Kevin S and Sweeney like this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

A Leslie 3 chime is like a lullaby.