A SAD DAY

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Ken & Peggy, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

That is a good looking truck. Congrats!

2. 1Door

1Door Novice

Looks REEEEL NICE!!!

3. Snudley

Snudley Novice

Wow. That's the exact vehicle I may be purchasing in a few years when I retire, right down to the wheels and color. I have a 2.7L Access Cab for now and it pulls the Raindrop just fine, but the 6 cylinder is probably the way to go for the long distance wandering I hope to do. If only Toyota would come out with a hybrid type pickup...

Great choice.

What type of bed cover did you get?

4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Nice, Ken. Like Snudley, I am probably going to upgrade to a truck in a couple of years. The Tacoma is one of the options on my list.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I'm liking the new ride - should be quite comfortable for Peg and I.

Snudley, I went with the Roll N Lock bed cover , since it offers some security to the contents and can be opened fully if and when we need to transport large items that wouldn't be possible with a hard shell. A cap would obviously let us put a whole lot more in the bed, but I really didn't want to go that route. We'll see how we manage without that extra capacity. So far, it hasn't been an issue.

6. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Also take a look at the BAK Roll-X. I've got a new truck on order and looked at both the Roll-X and the sliding cover like Ken. Main difference is that the Roll-X doesn't have the rollup container like the Roll n Lock or the BAK equivalent. Only downside it needs to roll all the way up and I think the sliding rollers can be put in a partial open position.

7. Ken & Peggy

I looked at the BAK products, including the Roll X. They are nice covers. The Roll X needs to be all the way open or all the way closed. Also, it does not have a mechanism that locks the tailgate. The Roll N Lock locks the tailgate when it it closed. I didn't realize that many pickups don't come with locking tailgates. If you wanted to lock the tailgate with the BAK Roll X, you'd need to install an aftermarket tailgate lock. Not a huge deal to do, I'm sure.

Here's a pretty clever video showing how secure the Roll N Lock is.

Actually, THIS VIDEO is the one I really like ;)

8. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

The second video is a hoot. Never crossed my mind that the tailgate on some brands doesn't lock. Lucky GMC has locks. Price for a roller is comparable for both brands but if the gate doesn't lock then the RollnLock is better.

9. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

So I stopped down at the local place that had the Roll-n-Lock demo on the floor. Will be changing my order to the Roll-n-Lock. Between seeing the video with the guys using the crow bar and then seeing the way the Roll-n-Lock is setup there is no comparison on security. Also compared to the other brands the box at the front is much smaller in height and depth where the top rolls into it. 5 weeks and counting to my new Sierra delivery.

10. Snudley

Snudley Novice

Excellent. I have been leaning toward the Roll n' Lock, also.

Enjoy your new toys.

11. Ken & Peggy

Toys? TOYS?! They're hard-working tow vehicles!

12. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I did a little research on this. If you want any real towing capacity, and you want good MPG, the only real choise is the VW Touraeg, in a TDI version.

I expect with GM introducing a diesel in the Chevy automobile line, that we will see diesel hybrids in the GM lineup fairly soon.

I'd like to try the Highlander or another hybrid, but I am concerned about any towing causing harm to the electric motors, so.....

I had read that hybrids are not appropriate for driving in the snow, because spinning the tires can burn out the motors. No idea if this is true.

Thankfully, we don't really need trucks to pull our TDs. But some of us want all the extra cargo capacity that trucks offer.

-Al

13. Ken & Peggy

That was what I was after. Losing the cargo capacity of the Sequoia was tough. I looked at Highlanders and Honda Pilots seriously, but the price jumped considerably when AWD/4WD and a factory installed tow package were added. The Tacoma offers a full-size rear seat, an interior that's got everything I need and looks good, and the bed. I got the short bed - 5 ft. - and think it will work for us.
    I didn't like the idea of storing any more than is necessary in the teardrop. It makes for an easy setup, keeps it cleaner, and can be ready to be slept in while 'on the go' by quickly moving the few items kept inside it to the TV.
    For me, the premium paid for a hybrid is still a bit too steep - I think the next car purchase will find that gap quite a bit narrower...

14. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

We are the same way. I have yet to store anything on the bed. Fortunately, our TV is big enough to handle everything we've thrown into it (even a folding, large, solar panel). But I'm always on the lookout for the next TV, just in case a big repair comes at us. So it's always interesting to hear what people are driving, and why.

I wonder if you'd really need a tow package if you had a Highlander. I have to think the High could tow a TD, without a "tow package" (other than the hitch and wiring, of course)

But I'd want the AWD/4WD, because I'd want the capacity to travel down some additional roads.

Still, there were roads that we encountered on our recent Utah trip that the TV could easily navigate, but the dust burden to the TD would have been immense, and we decided to take the long (and likely faster) way. Would have been awesome to have done that road without worrying about dust to the trailer. No TV is gonna change that, of course.

15. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have a Mid-sized Chev Colorado truck and it is perfect. But I carry a lot of gear, almost as much as Cabela's... dive gear/canopy/blender/telescope/bike stuff/camera gear and cold weather/computer stuff and support stuff... but wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Carry cooler (35qt for beverages) in the back of TD and the big 75qt one in the truck.

I was looking at a full sized truck, but too big. This one is perfect, 4x4, suspensions etc... love it....

16. Ken & Peggy

Frank, I picture the Colorado and Tacoma at about the same size. Not sure if that's true or not, though. The full-sized pickup would handle everything we could through into it, I'm sure, but I wanted to downsize a bit. The Taco will hold 4 sets of golf clubs and all 4 golfers - I learned that yesterday. I have yet to do an actual 'load test' with our camping gear, but I think it will handle the bulk of the big items we might want to include. We'll be putting it to a real-world test the weekend after next - not sure yet where we'll be heading...

17. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, it'll fit...
    I've learned over the years that whatever storage container you have, truck, car, locker, whatever... it will get filled.. regardless of size... sort of one of those "Murphy Laws" thang.. heheh.. although my big canopies, are too bulky for the Colorado with all the other stuff... but can carry if I sacrifice something else... but true to "Murphy" it will be filled LOL...