Itinerary 19th Annual Camp-Inn Camp-Outt

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by Betsey, May 10, 2022.

Added to Calendar: 09-23-22, 09-24-22, 09-25-22
  1. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Funny you should mention donuts, as one of our CICO regulars has started a small donut cart business and will have them available Saturday and Sunday morning. :)

:cool:

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

One more reason to come :)

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

If I come it will be midweek and then leave Saturday morning so I can do the Christmas Tree Festival in Ogema.

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We'll be there a few days early as well. We want to take a side trip to see "The house on the rock" It's a bit backtracking for us since we'll pass it on the way up.

Someone suggested you should plan for at least several hours for a visit. I've seen it on youtube; perhaps we will have already seen the biggest surprises. Had I known it was in my future this soon I might have skipped it.

When is mandatory checkout? Can we stay through Monday or Tuesday? I'm hoping for some cooler weather, our summer trip was canceled, and the CICO has become my proxy vacation -- and a couple extra days will certainly be welcome....

Otherwise are there points south that need to be explored - outside of Illinois.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

You will be in good company if you come midweek. Usually have a good number of campers set up by then. They start trickling in a week before.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

HOTR...Yes, you will need several hours for a visit...kind of like a CI orientation, but on a larger, more bizarre scale. ;) Lots of interesting things to see. Unlike CI, most exhibits haven't been touched/dusted/cleaned in years. :D

CICO - There is no mandatory check in or check out. Arrive/leave whenever you want. Most strike camp and leave Sunday morning. A few hang around for another day or so. As in the past 2 years, we won't be doing breakfast on Sunday.

There are lots of things to see/do in our area...just depends on your interests and how far you want to travel. I used to have lots of info on hand at the CICO of places to see & things to do. I will still have some info & maps this year.

Let me know if there are specific types of places/things you want to see and do (bike trails, nature trails/centers, historic places, antiquing, cranberry marsh tours, cheese factories, wineries, breweries, Mississippi River stuff, Amish tours & shops, huge rotary milking parlor, etc)

Here are some interesting/quirky things:

Dr. Evermore's Sculpture Park - Sumpter, WI, just outside of Baraboo
    https://www.worldofdrevermor.com/

Free admission. Can't say enough about this place...Been there many times and always bring out-of-state visitors here. Spend time walking around seeing all of his creations. When he was alive, Dr. Evermore (Tom Every) could be found at the park everyday and loved to chat with visitors. Quite an interesting gent with lots of stories to tell.

National Mustard Museum - Middleton
    The Store - National Mustard Museum

Free admission. Quick visit, but interesting. World's largest collection of mustards, both in a museum and for sale from all around the world. You can sample any you are interested in before purchasing.

Baraboo - Fun town with lots of unique and historic buildings, shops and things to see including the following:

--Circus World Museum - State Historic site

https://www.circusworldbaraboo.org/

Admission fee. Former Winter home of Ringling Brothers Circus (yes, Winter home...in the cold climate of Wisconsin!). Home of the International Clown Hall of Fame. Self-guided tour of the buildings with history displays, photos, circus posters, costumes, etc. One building houses a large collection of restored circus wagons (this alone, is worth the admission fee). During the summer, there are animals and circus shows.

--Al. Ringling Theatre
    https://www.alringling.org/

Admission fee.

Merrimac Ferry - North Freedom, WI

Merrimac Ferry (Colsac III)

Free admission. 7 minute crossing each way on the Wisconsin River. If you just want to have the "ferry experience," you can park your vehicle at the landing, walk onto the ferry and do a round trip.

There are concession on both sides of the river (Merrimac Ferry Landing Concessions and Merrimac Scoop)...grab an ice cream cone while you are waiting!

Merrimac Ferry Landing Concessions

The Merrimac Scoop

Troll Capitol of the World - Mt. Horeb
    Mount Horeb Trollway.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    Sweeney, Van_and_Terri and Kevin like this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I attended one before in 2019 if I remember correct and came a week early. When I arrived there were already a half dozen there already. It was fun watching everyone pull in.

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I keep wanting to make scorecards to hold up as people back their trailers in. This has been a great sport as so many people have recently purchased rigs, having

Small trailers can be more difficult that large ones.

@Betsey - great suggestions. How did I ever miss atlas obscura. Now I know where the nomad YouTubers get their leads :) Right here...next to me --- the world's largest ball of paint! Wohoo! Sounds like a day trip to me ;) (known about it for some time. It's almost as exciting as the worlds largest ball of twine, a title currently disputed between two contenders)

Tour 931 likes this.
  9. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Attendee list has been updated. :cool:

10. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jean finally registered. Only Jean, no furbabies or spouse.

KarenBee likes this.
  11. KarenBee

KarenBee Novice

Tell me more about this!

12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

This is now my home town event of the summer which is actually in the first week of fall. This will be my first so I’m not sure what to expect.
    091FD866-39C9-4827-9828-DBA93EFAC35F by Tour 931 posted Sep 15, 2022 at 7:53 AM

13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Are scorecards for backing skills appropriate? Perhaps a bonus "Unsportman like behavior" penalty for people who do it without fighting?

[​IMG]

SethB, Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  14. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Attendee list has been updated.

:cool:

15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

What's the word on firewood in the area of the park? It's looking like we'll have some cooler nights and cooler mornings. The $6 retail packs if wood are generally poor quality...and I'm hoping to buy a bigger stack than that.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  16. Jenn

Jenn Ranger

Me and the crickets at Castle Rock. Very lovely!
    Edit: by 7pm there are 2 other families here and setting up camp!

Big thanks in advance to Betsey, Craig, Cary, Holly and all the other elves who make this Gathering possible.

See y'all soon.

Jenn

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Kevin, dustinp and Van_and_Terri like this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Is firewood a lost cause? Wheels up tomorrow night..looking at a Wednesday arrival.

I ask again --- whats the best deal on firewood in the area? I am in a SERIOUS need for a fire.

18. Jenn

Jenn Ranger

Firewood at the checkin should be reasonable. They aren't open till Wed.

19. campdude

campdude Ranger

Sweeney you're gonna need it, it's getting chilly at night.
    CICO 2022

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  20. campdude

campdude Ranger

Nice meeting you tonite.