12v Electric Blanket

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by GhostOrchid, Jan 8, 2018.

1. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

D51BA4CB-AF0C-4532-93DE-34805B8CB420.jpeg If you are within range of an Aldi’s, they currently have a 12 v electric blanket for $15. It looks to be a one-off item, so if interested, get there quick.

I’m testing it now, and it’s pretty cozy. It’s rated at 50W, but seems to cycle off/on frequently using a fixed preset thermostat that doesn’t let it get too warm. The packaging boasts “two thermostats,” to ensure against overheating, but I’m not sure what they mean by that. There is no variable control. It’s polyester, 57” x 40.” My infrared thermometer indicates it’s ~90 degrees on the outside when heating.

Hard to go wrong for 15 bucks.

Tom & Diana P and Jenn like this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Will the battery last through the night?

3. GhostOrchid

No.

Unless on shore power, I’d only use it for 30 min or less in the evenings before sleep and in the morning to get toasty before rising.

I’m thinking there will also be times when we’ll use it in the tow vehicle, since it warms up a lot faster than a car heater.

Tour 931 likes this.
  4. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

If you're looking for a 12V mattress warmer: T36-12V Bunk Warming Pad Non-Fitted 36 x 60 - Electro Warmth Spendy, but it really helps to take the chill off at night, especially when you don't have shore power for a regular heater. 6.2 amp draw. I've forgotten to turn it off a couple of times and it gets roasting!

Tom & Diana P and Jenn like this.
  5. GhostOrchid

We’ve also got one of those. Have never run it all night, though. When you forgot to turn it off, was it on all night? Did it crash the battery?

6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I've always thought heat coming from under instead of a hot blanket would feel better. And I like the idea of being warm while breathing cold air. Using one would sure be better for sleeping instead of a small electric heater or furnace. At home I always leave a couple windows cracked open an inch.

7. Hey everyone,
    Its been a long time. I purchased 2 of these blankets in 2012 when we purchased the teardrop. We don't use them much on the bed, and we do mostly fall & winter camping, it gets to warm for us. I have left it on all night when I was camping alone and don't recall any super power drain on battery. Ellen likes to wrap up in one of these while sitting around the galley sipping coffee on the cooler mornings. Of course, you have to realize, I'm the guy with the SUV tent and a wood stove hooked on the rear of the teardrop. I like our blankets a lot and would buy them again if needed. I think I paid around $12.00 plus postage in 2012. Oh yeah, they are nice in the car also.
    George

Kevin S likes this.