10th CICO

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by jfocallag, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

If you desire to see Moose, drive the Gunflint trail in Minnesota. Grand Marias, Minnesota. A 57 mile long culdesac.

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Thanks Jean, I'll be leaving as soon as I can get packed!

3. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

Hi Sue,

You wrote of your anticipation wondered about encountering a moose.
    My close encounter wasn't as close as your buffalo,
    but there was no glass or car door between. Just 8 feet of air and one porch step.

I was visiting my sister in the south east area of Anchorage. I drove back into the driveway of their house with my 5 and 7 year old
    nephew and niece and mom/grandma at about 8PM. As we got out of the car a large female moose (Sue I think they are called "cows")
    poked her head and shoulder around the far edge of the 3 car garage. We scooted the kids into the house as the moose walked forward
    onto the snowbank along the far side of the wide driveway. The kids wondered what the moose was doing while I wondered how
    strong the front door with side-windows was.
    I finally gave in and agreed to go out if they stayed inside and kept a clear retreat at the open door.
    I stepped out on the farmer's porch. No moose. No sound. I took one step down preparing to creap forward down the walk
    to peak around the corner of the garage and check the driveway for moose. Front third of moose way taller than my 6'4" rounds
    the garage corner 6 or 8 feet away and I scramble back inside no longer curious! We lock the door and take the kids up for pajamas.

Earlier in the week, my brother-in-law told me that over 10 times more people were killed (stomped) by moose in Alaska per year
    than were killed by grizzly bears. Even though Anchorage averages about 8 grizzlies and several brown bears living
    within the populated city limits.

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Now that's a close encounter and a good story. Yikes!

We have a friend who goes panning for gold every summer in the Yukon and has returned with some harrowing tales of moose. There was one particular day when he stepped out the door of a small cafe and almost walked right into one. I asked what he did and he said, "As it was a bull with particularly large antlers and it was also rutting season, I walked right back into the cafe... as fast as possible."

Even though I'm just a city girl, I know moose are extremely dangerous (wild animals are funny that way). I don't want to get close enough to dance, I just want to see one.

From a very, very safe distance. City girl, remember.

And until I do see one, I'll keep whining...like a true city girl.

Moosemoosemoosemoosemoose.....

Camp On,

Sue

5. Ken & Peggy

Quite a story, Mark. I'd imagine more people are killed by meese because they don't fear them like they fear bears. Big mistake :(

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Ken, the plural of meese is meeses.

7. Jim and Sue L.

I thought meeses was more than one mice, causing the farmer's wife to shriek," Eeeeekkkk!!!" Hence meeses. So that would make moose, mooses...or moosi, unless the "i" requires more than four legs or life spent mostly in water.... But the moose does spend most of it's time mucking about in the...well, muck, so maybe it should be moosi.

What was the question?

Sue

8. Ken & Peggy

I stand connected, thanks.

9. Jim and Sue L.

And I need a drink. My brain hurts after that convoluted mish-mash.

Or is that moose-mash?

moosi?

Sue

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Sad to say we will miss the 10th CICO due to family needs, hail damage repair, etc.

But on the plus side Bob and Kathy stopped by for a visit. Great to hear about their trip to Alaska. We had a very enjoyable visit.

So will miss you all but hope you all have good weather and tons of fun and fellowship.

11. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jenn,
    We will miss seeing you and hearing about your year. If you pass by our way come and visit.

12. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

The hardest part of going on a trip is the packing. The camper is packed with the exception of a few items. Going to bed for a good night sleep. Finish packing the car in the morning, close up the house and hit the road. Night all.

13. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Woooo Hoooo Joan, You're Loaded and tied, ready to ride...
    See ya there..

14. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Travel safe everyone! Have a great time!

15. jfocallag

Watch out, here we come!

16. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

safe travels; we're looking forward to seeing you. Bob and Kathy

17. jfocallag

I spent last night in Lenore, ID at a friends. Tonight, I am at Osen's RV park in Livingston, MT. Just keeping notes in case this turns into my long haul. :)

18. jfocallag

Tonight, I am at Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

19. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, one day at a time.... I'm all packed, just need to pick up food tomorrow, Sat, and up "Bright eyed and bushy tailed" Sunday to head on out...
    finally... Trip will be 34 nights in total.. fun eh??? heheh

20. Hearing everyone's tales of already being on the way to "Mecca" almost makes me feel sorry for myself that I'm ONLY 7 hours away from CICO. Safe travels for all of you that are already en route!