Roof Rack Yakima Trailer-top Rack

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Les Izmore, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Hi All!

I don't see any posts about the optional Yakima Rack from Camp-Inn (a set of four towers and two crossbars, no locks). We purchased it and thought we'd provide some feedback. We have the SUV height trailer package.

We installed Highroller bike trays on our crossbars, mounting them as close to the sides of the trailer as possible. I'm 5'11" and on flat ground I can lift a bike onto the trays, but it's a good thing they are carbon, as I am fully stretched out trying to get 'em up there. On a site where the ground is sloping away beside the cabin I'd probably be out of luck. Just in case (and so that my 5'9" wife can get her bike down on her own if she wants to), we're buying a folding Cosco one-step stepstool (about 3 1/2 inches thick when folded) to give us a 10" boost.

There is room to carry four bikes on the rack without affecting the operation of the vent. But you'll likely need a multi-step stepstool to access the interior bike trays. And you'll always be removing the outside bikes to get at the interior bikes, so probably a better option for families than for folks that simply must have a different bike for every occassion.

With the long end of the Highroller tray toward the galley there is room for an REI Alcove shade cover. If this configuration conflicts with your model of shade cover, you can always install the trays with the bikes facing backward.

Carrying road bikes, the trailer requires about 9'4" of clearance. That's less that on the cab of our truck, plus we don't have to worry about forgetting that they are on the cab when driving into our garage.

If you were thinking of installing a gear rack, like Yakima's basketcase, keep in mind that you can't install it over the vent. If you install it to one side or the other of the vent it will extend beyond the side of the trailer.

You wouldn't want to put a canoe or kayak on the trailer rack, as that is a lot of weight to be hoisting that high, and that would also make the galley inaccessible. A white water kayak might fit, and for snow gear you'd mainly have to consider whether you are leaving room to prop open the galley.

I had one person ask me how much weight the rack would support. I have no idea, but I suspect it is much more than twice whatever weight the average person could comfortably hold over their head for several seconds...

We opted for the trailer top for carrying our bikes to get them farther away from road dust that can gum up the drive trains. We plan on purchasing full bike covers to protect them on longer trips, but for local trips we don't feel that is necessary.

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We considered that rack when we 1st got the trailer, but decided on the hitch rack so we could transport the bikes once we got to a campground. Same with the kayaks. I'm not familiar with a bike cover, but wonder if it would work with a hitch mounted carrier as well?

4. efelker

efelker Newbie

I was considering the rack for the shelters (rear shade, side tent, shower enclosure) and some of the other camp site itmes. But if you have to put the basket on hanging over the side -- that doesn't sound good.