Yakima Road Shower On Roof Rack-- Weight Issues?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Rupert, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Rupert

Rupert Newbie

There has been previous discussion of the Yakima road shower on the forums. We're considering buying the big one (10 gallons).

I wanted to double check with the inquiring minds here, whether adding 120lbs to one side of the roof rack would be dangerous or exceed the designed limits in any way.

The road shower product sheet is here.

What do y'all think?

--Rupert

2. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We have a road shower and have not had any issues with it when mounted to our Outback roof rack or Thule rack, had it on both. It's a great product especially when combined with a small DC air compressor, which keeps pressure constant..

Kevin and Rupert like this.
  3. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

upload_2020-12-4_20-6-26.png
    I have a 60 pound 10 foot fishing kayak and Yakima Skybox on the roof rack. Put 12,000 miles this way in 2019 and no problems. It's my CampInn ToyHauler.

Kevin, Doug & Angela, Rupert and 2 others like this.
  4. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

Rupert, I'm pretty sure I'm too late to reply to this older thread, but I got one of these and I'm very happy with it.
    Extreme Shower for use with any gas or propane stove | Zodi.com
    Heat it up for a few minutes on the stove where it just fits and you're ready to go. Has a built-in thermometer to get you to the right temperature. I use it with one of those little popup tents that are made for that sort of thing. My problem with those solar heated showers is that I always get back to the camp late and by then you are dealing with cold water.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Dmitry and Rupert like this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Its even later for me :D

But I can tell you, if CI offers it as an option, they've already given it though, and you'll be fine. Remember, these are the same people who routed a half round for drainage around the gally storage bays, so any spilled water would go into these gutters, and drain out safely. The same people who use glue their screws in.

On a trailer that weights 1100-1300 lbs, which is built on a 2000lb axle...no problem at all here. As for weight distribution, the walls are solid. and the weight from the yakama racks are transfered directly into those solid walls. I doubt you could crush those unless you used hydraulics.

I would not be the least bit concerned about putting one of these on my rig

EDIT: Visited your blog --- some great photos --- it is inspiring me to travel and take more photographs

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Rupert likes this.
  6. Rupert

Rupert Newbie

Thanks all for the anecdotes and advice. We did a test installation today and it looks great opposite the ARB awning.

I'll post a couple pictures here once we do the final install later this week.

One exciting detail: the user's manual confirms that the road shower can be used for potable water. This brings our total water capacity up to 29 gal (7 gal built in + 10 gal road shower + 6 gal jerrycan x 2). Should last quite a few days with conservative use...

Kevin, Laura R, L57 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

It weighs less than a roof top tent!