Kickoff At Sadlers Creek

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Warren Mary Ellen, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Finally got 2022 camping season underway with a weekend at Sadlers Creek here in SC on Lake Hartwell. It's always a good place to take Jeremiah on the first outing in case we have any issues since it is only 20 minutes or so from the house. We had another Camp Inn, Oconee Bell, in the site next to us. Other than some hikes in the park we mostly hung out at our sites by the lake. We always coordinate meals with each other. I think two of the highlights were my homemade salsa and the piles of gouda cheese we brought plus some corn chowder than was awfully good. There is a Dutch family who live near the park and the make artisanal Gouda cheese and handmade wooden boats. The stuff's addictive and if you go by the place they'll give you the tour of the "cave" where they age the cheese.

No problems other than the pollen which was pretty heavy. Cut it short by a night because it was going to rain 2 inches overnight, so we decided we don't want to pack up wet gear so we left about 6:00 last night. Ate one last meal by the lake before heading in. This was our 5th time camping at Sadlers Creek and I think we found our favorite site, Number 33. It is a little more isolated from neighboring sites than most there, plus you have a nice view of the lake and it's bigger than a lot of the others.

Now I'm trying to plan out a trip to Necedah for Jeremiah to get a check up this summer. It's been 7 years so it's time for that. I know we'll camp in Kentucky near our daughter in Lexington plus give Cumberland Gap National Park a try too. Other than that, I'm looking at site in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, of course Wisconsin. Before then, we have a couple more local trips planned.

View attachment upload_2022-4-18_20-32-47.jpeg

View attachment upload_2022-4-18_20-33-39.jpeg

View attachment upload_2022-4-18_20-34-35.jpeg

Kevin, SethB, M&L and 2 others like this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

You were right on the water and that was a beautiful sunset.

3. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

If you're in Kentucky, we recently went to Energy Lake at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, and found it very charming. Recommended.

Attached Files:

Kevin and Warren Mary Ellen like this.

4. That park has several on the water. That is site 33 in Campground 2. Campground 3 is on the peninsula to left in my pic. Those have the best sunset views looking across to Georgia, but it can get windy at them too. Campground 2 is smaller and usually pretty quiet. Campground 1 is all on the water on the far side of the park, but it is like a parking lot and mostly big RVs.

Tour 931 likes this.