Another Option For Boondocking Communication

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by rotus8, Feb 27, 2023.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

This morning I read an article about an option for communicating when away from cell coverage. It is a small hot spot type device that connects to your phone with Bluetooth and connects to a satellite link. I think it would mostly be used for messaging but could save your life in an emergency and the cost seems reasonable, at least what the article suggests, though reality may be different.
    https://www.xda-developers.com/motorola-defy-satellite-link-release

2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Very interesting! Sounds similar to the texting via InReach mini, or SPOT.
    I'm watching the results from Starlinks proposed collab with Tmobile, too.
    Here is something I found on teh innertubez re: Iphone14 vs InReach.

Tech is moving fast...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

And here is one more;

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Somehow I bet you can't stream youtube :) But definitely something good to have for boondockers. My biggest fear is being disconnected and needing help.

Kevin likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Really happy with my full size Garmin InReach. Great peace of mind when there is no cell service. Various plans starting at $15 per month for the basic. Tons of YouTube videos out there on how to use it to its fullest capability. I always text my family when I arrive so they can reach me in an emergency. Each time you text it sends your location coordinates.

inReach® Consumer Subscription Plans | Garmin

Kevin, dustinp and JohnC like this.
  6. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Randy, do you take advantage of suspending the coverage when you don't travel? Are there issues with doing that?

7. Randy

Very much so, cancel and restart all the time. No issues.

8. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Do your 30 days start and stop the day you restart or do have to pay for any use of a calendar month?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  9. Randy

Honestly haven’t checked that closely John.

10. Randy

Wanted to add that with the companion Garmin Earthmate app you can connect your phone to the InReach device via Bluetooth. Even without cell service this allows you to type and read messages from your phone, use your phone contacts to send messages, read and upload maps, etc. Makes it very user friendly.

Kevin likes this.