Another Option For A Refrigerator

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by rotus8, Mar 27, 2023.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I have purchased a number of things, mostly cell phone related, from Anker: Anker | Live Charged. and they have been consistently good quality. The one exception was a cable that failed and they instantly sent me another.

They are introducing a fridge with an integrated auxiliary battery with a Kickstarter campaign https://www.kickstarter.com/project...oolereverlasting-coolness-anywhere?ref=8sgk7y.
    [​IMG]
    https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/04...-q=50&q=92&s=ca69594a6ffe78f20da23340b7abf596

This sounds pretty good though likely none of the options will fit in the Camp Inn galley, but if you carry your fridge in the tow vehicle like I do, it could work well. I carry my Dometic in the tow and I created an auxiliary battery system for it. Many don't have the resources to make an aux battery setup and this offering eliminates that requirement by integrating the battery in the fridge. You can also get an extra battery for more time without charging. It can be charged from 120VAC, 12VDC, or solar panel. The battery has USB ports for charging your other devices too. The fridge is available in different configurations including one with two compartments that can be set at different temperatures so you can have some items frozen and some not.

The Kickstarter campaign will allow purchase at a deep discount, but with some risk. Delivery is projected to be in June. Waiting until it is full production will cost more, but be more certain you will get what you expect and after others have had a chance to review it.

Ken & Peggy and Kevin like this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have several Anker products and they've always been good to me.

I've been hozed by too many kickstarters. Fortunately never for a big dollar amount, but I've become very wary...its clear the companies spent large sums of money on the ads and then disappeared, some after going many times over their stated goal...

Caveat Emptor!

Good Juju and Kevin like this.
  3. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

There have been (maybe still are?) companies out there offering a fridge with built in battery but I forgot who they were.

The Kickstarter pricing is nice if you want to go down that road. I did once and got soured rather quickly, although I did receive a full refund.

I'm not really sure what benefit the built in battery gives you over a separate sogen you can carry with you. I actually took a short trip to Laughlin, NV to meet friends during the 2022 Superbowl. No trailer, just a free hotel room. I put my Dometic in the car and chose to run it off of one of my sogens. It stayed in the car 2 nights and worked just fine the whole trip out and back.

Kevin likes this.
  4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I've had nothing but good experience with Anker products. Not so much Kickstarter, but I'd be willing to bet on Anker producing a quality appliance.

Kevin and dirty6 like this.
  5. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. I’ve had good and bad experiences using Kickstarter. However, I have not had a bad experience when an established reputable brand/company is using Kickstarter. I’m fairly confident that if I bought one of these and it didn’t ship, Anker wouldn’t be disappearing into the night like a startup company might.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I think I would trust anker a bit more than some random campaign. I've seen a few established companies doing this --- its an interesting way to see if there is market interest in what you are trying to sell.

If you've got the newest mousetrap its an expensive proposition to build without feedback...and what better feedback than cash.

Kevin likes this.
  7. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

Question. This fridge advertises about 40 hrs of usage on the ~299 Wh battery. Could I get roughly the same amount of usage by just attaching a 260 Wh jackery to my dometic?

EDIT : I have a 100W solar panel that I could use to top off the battery and tbh most times we only go out for 2-3 days at a time. I'm looking for an alternative to the AGM battery even though we have solar because I think I damaged the AGM battery I currently have by drawing it down too far and I think prefer the transparency of knowing exactly how much battery I have left that an external battery like a Jackery has.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    Kevin likes this.
  8. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I just returned from a trip where I used the Dometic and a 3kwh 24V lithium iron phosphate battery. The Dometic, set at 27f, pulled about 42 watts. The ice blocks helped take some stress off the freezer. The 24v system kept the output voltage above the Dometic cutoff. Additional power loads were the fan, lights, and a CPAP. This one snapshot indicated I could expect at least 50-60 hours of use. I did notice a substantial draw from the Dometic when in direct sunlight. I will carry a sun cover next time.

Kevin likes this.
  9. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I have a Victron battery meter that indicates draw. HOWEVER: I must make a correction. I was just removing the battery system power supply and the 2kwh aux battery was disonnected from the control unit 975wh main unit. I’m pretty sure it was connected when I noted the hours remaining, but I’m not 100%. The ambient temp at high draw was 72 but my thermometer exposed to the same sun was maxed out at 100f. Direct sun can make a big difference (gee, this is what makes solar power work).

Kevin likes this.
  10. Long Truong

So... 50-60 hrs of use on 900 Wh battery set at 27 degrees? How hot of a day was it?

11. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I am somewhat sure the aux battery was fully connected (3kwh) to give 50-60 hours of run. The lows were upper 40’s and highs mid 70’s.

Attached Files:

Kevin likes this.
  12. Long Truong

I just bought a 260wh battery on sale from Amazon and I will test it out in my backyard when it comes.

Kevin likes this.
  13. Long Truong

Yall! I had bought this RockPals 600 Wh battery the other week and I just found it on Amazon for an absolutely killer price of $270. As comparison, other reputable brands are selling 290 Wh batteries for like $200.

ROCKPALS Portable Power Station Freeman 600W, 614.4Wh Solar Generator with 156W Fast Charging, 110V/600W Pure Sine Wave 3 AC Outlets LiFePo4 Battery Outdoor Generator, 12V Regulated Power Supply https://a.co/d/fzfPoMV

I anticipate that I'll able to run my Dometic for 2-3 EASILY from this battery.

Note:I actually re-bought it so I can return the first one I bought bc it was $100 less today than a couple weeks ago

Kevin, dustinp and Van_and_Terri like this.
  14. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

Thank you. Looks like a great deal, placed my order!

Sweeney likes this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Hobotech just reviewed Ecoflow glacier...Looks like its a rally nice fridge too....though the icemaker seems excessive. A true multiple zone fridge would be awesome....

BTW, the problem he had with "small ice" was an undocumented feature...he's posted an update on it as well....

EcoFlow Glacier - EcoFlow Power Systems