A couple questions

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by drjenk, Mar 26, 2014.

1. drjenk

drjenk Newbie

Hi,
    My wife and I have recently discovered this trailer product, have been lurking this forum (and the campinn web page) and are quite intrigued. We have a couple questions.
    What does one typically do with your dirty clothes in a camper such as this? Seems like you'd want to vacate them from the enclosed space. I imagine we could put them under the trailer, but none of the videos I've seen show this. Curious as to methods.
    Also, what are some ideas for hanging a garbage can somewhere?

This is a great forum. I'm not sure if it's the right timing in our life for one of these, but if not now in a few years God willing. We have daughters 16 and 14, and two dogs. Seems like the bunk config is a bit small for this. Yes they could sleep in a tent with the dogs but more thinking about times when that is not an option for any reason, such as more cold weather or arriving in the rain where setting up a tent is not optimal right away. So we may lurk for a while, but in the meantime lurk and learn :). Thanks for any insight.

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Dirty clothes, depending on how dirty, either the laundry mesh bag in one of the upper cabinets, or back of the car.

For garbage, I have this gadget:http://bagrack.com . but sometimes it depends what kind of critters are around, you may want the garbage far from your setup, in which case those tree garbage holders are useful, or you are doing small runs to the dumpster, or almost everything you have is burnable in the fire...

I'm horrible at taking pictures of my own setup, but Stacie has one showing the bagrack on a 550,http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-camp-inn-camp-outt-tiny-trailer.html It's on the side table for the fridge. (7th picture on that post). I like it because it breaks down small.

shoe-sized bins are a common thing to put shoes in to slide under the trailer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. We tend to pack clothes directly into the cabinetry and take a duffle bag (that happens to fold up small until we use it). As dirty clothes accumulate they go into the duffle bags. These easily slide under the TD at night or in the car, or even fit in the top cubbies depending on the trip and what gear we have. What makes it nice is coming home...duffle bags dump straight into the washing machine.

You'll find a system in no time.

4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

If the side tent is up, I put the laundry bag in there otherwise, back of the car.

I bought a collapsible garbage container. I clip a plastic bag in it and put the loop through the cooler table leg so it sits under the cooler table leg. It has a zipper top so at night, I unclip the bag and zip it shut. So far, no issues with critters in the garbage.

Picture below:
    [​IMG]

5. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Trash:
    I initially went with the bigger collapsible one like Joan has showing. I put the table leg through both loops to keep it steady in the winds. It rotates under the table if need be. Good if camping with a lot of people or a campsite without critters.

I did get a smaller one with the lid but then realized that those Bandits (raccoons) would simply shred it and then the crows take over early in the morning... (I think I'm actually learning "Crow-speak" as to when they've found the "Take out" campsite)

I now use, unless I really KNOW there aren't any critters, the regular market plastic bags with the two clips used for those plastic table cloths. It works the best as I can dump it at night and not worry about the "3am garbage raid" thrashing about.
    I also will attach to the bumper if just a real temp situation using those color plastic coated laundry clips. Those are great and use them all the time for various things.

If I have used the bigger bags, I'll pull the plastic liner bag, 10 gal?, out and either dump or put in back of truck or the whole container depends on whats on the table.
    Usually there is something lurking at night and so now I'm in the habit of backing truck up at an angle for privacy and I just keep the food on the tail gate of the truck, again to prevent critters. They probably won't get into the Yeti coolers I use now, but not interested in "Listening" to them at the 3am thrash-about.. heheh easier just to go back and forth unless it's a big outing

Clothes & Laundry:
    Clothes, I just pack an overnight bag and place on the top shelf sideways. It's great as the flaps open up for access and close for ascetics one cabinet has long johns, gloves and warm stuff just in case.

If I'm going out for longer than a weekend, I put extra clothes in those clear plastic tubs along with laundry soap cubes and back up supplies and put in truck behind seats, fits perfectly

Laundry:
    Short trip, weekend, I just roll up and put in top shelf or in truck
    Laundry bag for longer trips stored in back of truck.

[​IMG]

As you go, you'll adapt to the best way that suits you. "3am critter raids" are a PITA to me so it's worth taking the additional steps just to be sure..

I usually try to check with the ranger/host and ask if there are any "Critters" I need to look out for, raccoons, squirrels, snakes, and the big boys, bears and cougars... just to plan accordingly.

Fun eh?? heheh..
    They, CampInns, are a blast...
    Hope that helps..

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I hang the "Walmat" plastic bag from the license plate during daylight hours. At night either take to dumpster or store in sink. I try to never, ever leave garbage out at night.

Dirty Laundry: depends upon how stinky or dirt coated it is. Known to drap over LP tank so can air out, then fold and place in laundry bag in back of the car. At times have two laundry bags: one in teardrop for recently worn, non-odorous items and one in back of car.

Like all previous posts, each person finds what works for them.

7. drjenk

drjenk Newbie

Neat thanks for all the ideas, especially that big rack thing. I see one of those in my future.

8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

We use one of these.

Stays collapsed until we need it. It sits inside the side tent or right behind the fender on the passengers side.

:cool:

[​IMG]

9. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Hi, Drjenk. Our answers are pretty much the same as everyone else. Dirty clothes go in a mesh bag in the back of the truck (we have a camper shell) and a plastic shopping bag hung on the license plate works just fine for the garbage. We dump it asap to avoid hornets, ring-tailed bandits and the occasional bear.

So what's wrong with the girls pitching a tent in the rain? It builds character in the girls and provides hours of amusement for you as you sit cozy in your teardrop, sipping hot cocoa, nibbling on goodies etc., etc....

Heaven knows my parents did it to me and I turned out all right. Wait a minute...my husband is laughing. Excuse me while I go smack him.

Camp On,

Sue

10. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

You can't slap him now. October is domestic violence month. Save it up for then. Lucky thing October has 31 days to get it all in.

Back in the day, my parents would cook hotdogs for us kids and then rush us off to bed. Sometimes when the sun was still up. Then they would break out the steaks for themselves. And I turned out OK.

Huh…. I hear laughter, too.

11. drjenk

drjenk Newbie

jsl you are funny. Ya they do right now put up their own tent, and yes it is amusing at times. I think we've decided it is not that big of an issue especially in the longer term. We are just figuring out timing of an order which I think is later this year for mid 2015 delivery so we can better get our finances in order to pay cash. It also figures into more favorable timing for driving cross country.
    The thing that really hooked me on this product is the build quality, which is really hard to find in the trailer market. Also the kitchen configuration, and that neat couch/bunk which I don't see in any other teardrop style trailer. Not to mention all the great little options. So we're flushing all of them out with much help from this forum, especially the dedicated "options" section. So much info to digest, I know more about solar panels than I ever thought I would thanks to all the knowledge here :)