2013 Outback With Canoe On Roof Rack

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by hiadventurer, Oct 23, 2020.

1. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We use a 2013 Outback with 3.6R to tow our 560. Considering carrying g a 16 or 17 foot canoe on top of OB, while towing our 560. We have a 14.5 Delta Kayak which we have done the same with, and have not encountered any issues, the canoe is a bit longer, just checking if anyone has any experience with a longer canoe and an OB....Thanks R

2. Hi Ron and Missy:

I carry 16.5 Kevlars (38 and 52 lbs each) on top of the 2.5 2017 OB using 58" Yakima round bars and their gunwale brackets... 4 Yakima Gunwale Brackets - Easy Load Canoe Kayak Mounts for roof rack gunwale | #334444261 ... though not both canoes at the same time. I am however able to get a bike on top beside the canoe. Not sure if the Yakima gunwale brackets are still available. Got them 20 years ago and couldn't do without them.

I have found that the bar spacing on the OB to be less than ideal for a long canoe (only 30") when using the Yakima towers. With the '06 Forester, flatter roof and wider spacing I was able to just use the gunwale brackets and two straps to secure the canoe. Now, however, I do a stern and bow tie down, just for good measure. I attached a couple tie-downs... Thule 529 Hood Loop Straps - Thule Rack Accessories... under the hood using available bolts at the sides and at the front latch. The rear tie-down goes to the hitch and the back hatch can still open without undoing anything.

There is ample stern clearance with the 560 (about a foot) when the canoe is centered on the crossbars.

I opted not for roof racks on the 560 as I wasn't going to get any better bar spacing, and it would interfere with side tent etc...

Definite additional wind drag with the canoe and the bike. About another 15% loss in fuel economy.

Hope that gives you a picture.

Steve

3. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

We towed our 560 with our 2010 Outback and placed the canoe a bit forward on the TV to make sure the end of the canoe wouldn't interfere with the camper. It worked fine, we set the canoe on the factory installed rack (used a pool noodle for padding). Not sure how long the canoe was. We added tie downs to the bolts along the sides under the hood and that worked great. (Got the idea from a YouTube video)

hiadventurer likes this.
  4. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Finally got our canoe (16 ft. Merrimack) and setup seems fine with the factory rack. We have about 14 inches of clearance between canoe and front of 560, that should be enough, any opinions?? R

Attached Files:

Kevin, Jerry Kemp and dustinp like this.
  5. campdude

campdude Ranger

I am not a canoe-ist..if that's a word....but I do appreciate a quality built vessel....and that is one nice looking canoe.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

It is a word, no hyphen is even necessary!

7. campdude

campdude Ranger

LOl...okay....how's 'bout a canoe-ologist? or if you are old enough..."can you canoe"?