Yeti coolers

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by mcjimjam, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We have one word to describe our new 75 qt. Yeti cooler......FANTASTIC!!!!
    Jim filled it to the brim with free ( an advantage of being a contractor! ) ice on Friday morning. It sat in the sun in temps in the 90's all day. We stocked it Saturday morning with milk, juice, frozen meats, etc. and headed out for 5 days of camping in our beautiful Virginia State Parks. It is now Wednesday, and we still have the original ice (just less of it!), after temperatures ranging from 50 to 88.
    Seems our Yeti is a worthwhile investment. We have NEVER had ice last this long without replenishing several times. You can bet our next purchase for the mcnugit will be the 35 qt. Yeti that fits in the galley cooler space!
    Anyone interested in a slightly used Coleman stainless steel cooler?!!,

We even had a couple paddle past our lakeside campsite, who happened to be Yeti enthusiasts, and ask if our camper was a Camp-Inn. They expected it was when they saw the Yeti sitting beside it! They know quality when they see it!! We ended up giving them the full tour, and a brochure! Here's hoping they join our Camp-Inn family sometime in the future!

2. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I just noticed an extreme cooler from Coleman 62 quart that claims will hold ice for 5 days in 90 heat for $40.00.

What am I missing that makes the Yeti worth so much more?

Maybee you got a 50% off sale?

Dave

3. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Dave-
    In our never ending quest for a better cooler, we have owned several over the years, including those claiming to keep ice for 5 or 6 days. We've always had to replenish the ice every other day. Granted, the Yeti is rather pricey, but compared to other brands we have owned, Yeti really is in a whole different league. The insulation and seal are key. When we unloaded it last night, there was still 4 inches of ice left in the bottom, and the food was plenty cold! I just checked again, and the ice is still there. Many Camp-Inn owners have chosen the Dometic route, which is just as pricey. As with most things, it's all about personal preference!
    Jamie

4. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jim & Jamie-
    Thanks for sharing on the Yeti. I will certainly take it into consideration as I get ready to place my order for a CI teardrop. Hopefully, this will happen next month.
    Noticed we are 'neighbors'...and yes, Virgina has beautiful state parks. Looking forward to this.
    Deb

5. tjcrebs

tjcrebs Novice Donating Member

Great news! I love our 35 quart Yeti Cooler, dimensions 21x16x15.5 inches and weighs 17 lbs empty. Looks like with the 2" seat cushion on top it will still fit in the galley! Looks like the Yeti 45 (25.5x16x15.5) weighing 22 lbs may even be a better fit, as it is closer in size to the 54-qt Coleman (26x18x17) also 22 lbs.

6. 1Door

1Door Novice

Just measured the dimension of the galley area....ours is 24 1/4 inch wide. We have the YETI 45 qt (25 3/8 inches across) and it doesn't fit. We also have the YETI 55 qt and we love them...ice stays frozen and food stays colder than in our fridge at home!!! We ALWAYS pour out ice when we return from our 2 or 3 night trips.

7. tjcrebs

Of course you're right S&A, I compared the 45 quart Yeti with the Stainless Steel Coleman at my local Ace. The measurements I pulled from Amazon for the Yeti probably averaged its trapezoidal length. Looks like only the 20-quart Roadie and my 35-quart Tundra Yeti's will fit in CI's galley. Me bad for that earlier post; please accept my apologies.

Regards, T

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I thought this was already posted but?

I have the 35, fits perfectly in the stove place with about 2" on the side (I keep my power extension there for quick retrieval on SnG's, to spare.
    It was mentioned earlier that a 45 won't fit.

I also have a 75..
    75 = Food and stuff
    35 = Beverages, holds 2 6-pac, A-hem of fruit juices?? heheh and a row in between them. Works perfectly.

Both have ice when I get home, usually enough I'll pop them into the Refer freezer to use for next time. I hate doing that though is it takes up "Freezer Space"... all for $5? or so in new ice.

Typically, I get ice for:
    75 = 1 block + 2 bags
    35 - 1.5 bags, balance back to the 75.

and mannnnnn... that keeps stuff c-c-c-c-cold... the 35'er "Stuff" is colder than in my refrigerator's...

Well worth it in the long run..

I did have to remove the rubber stick pads on the 75 as I couldn't get it to slide into the back of the truck..now, now not a problem...
    Sweet...

HTH..

9. tjcrebs

During tow from NY to CO (2/22-2/27/14), forgot to put some ice in the Yeti 35 for the drive home (i.e. after the 60's only two neurons apparently still working)!

So I put a couple handfuls of snow in a plastic bag while overnighting in Sandusky OH. After three days in a warm car, 2 motel-nights, and one frigid night at -1°F side-tent -- snow still nice and solid in the Yeti when I cleaned it out. Love the Yeti, but "mileage" will no doubt vary in the summertime.