Yearly Maintenance... ?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Louie R Magdaleno, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Hey everyone ,

For whatever it's worth .. !

I've had my Raindrop 560 Ultra since Sept 2009.

This past summer, I had the Wheel Bearings Repacked, Brakes Inspected, Tires balanced & Rotated.

The guy doing the work stated, " It didn't need the Repacking or the Tires/Wheels Balanced & Rotated "!

I watched the guy repacking the bearings.. They really didn't need to be done. The Wheel Bearings (Grease)were in very good condition.

I always check the tire pressure & make sure everything works, before hitting the road.

No problems so far !!

L.M.

2. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

L.M.
    I remember Cary saying the bearings would last as long as the tires. Your experience would seem to confirm that. But, better safe than sorry.
    Steve

3. I had a " Boat & Trailer " a few years back & made it a " Yearly " routine to check & re-pack the bearings.

I recall reading somewhere (Trailer Towing Mag ??).They recommended running a few thousand miles on a new Trailer & then re-packing, which had more to do with, re-seating the Bearings.

I know its very dependant on how many hard miles driven or towed. But, I'll most likely do it every two years...,simply for my peace of mind .. !

L.M.

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

L.M.

That is a good point to bring up. One that we cover in our owner's manual. After 2000miles one should check the "looseness", for a lack of a better term, of the wheel bearings. Normally not much more than shaking the tire to look for excess play. Though popping the dust caps and checking how tight the bearing nut is works best if possible. Really don't need to repack at that point but if someone is pulling the dust cap off they usually will anyhow.

Cary

5. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

OK, I am in deep do do. I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this maintenance a RV or trailer shop would be able to do for me? I think the answer is yes but want to make sure. Otherwise, I may need to take a mechanics course at the local community college. :)

6. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Joan,
    This is a very common maintenance.
    Just about any shop can do this for you.
    Steve

7. Hi Joan,

" ANY " Tire & Brake shop or Mechanic shop should be able to " Inspect & Re-pack " the Bearings.

I did my own , when I had my Boat ( @ Home before Divorce) .. Not really that technical, assuming you have the tools & a level place.

However, the " Dust Caps " ( Raindrop )were extra tight & required some fiddling with to remove.

I could have done it myself, but.. decided to take it to a " Tire & Brake Shop" to get it done, in addition to have the Tires " Speed Balanced " & Tires Rotated.

I think (??) the cost was under " $ 50.00 " for all the Parts & Labor : New Grease / New Cotter Pin / Wheel Wieghts (Tires Balanced) & Labor

L.M.

8. jfocallag

Ok, so I checked into the KOA in Medford after getting a late start. As I am driving away from the office, the man comes out and tells me he hears a noise coming from my tires. I do the wiggle test which I did when I left this morning except now I can feel some looseness. The man says that I should get them check within two weeks but then goes on to tell me the story about how one of his tires fell off and the brakes caught on fire. Good thing he had a fire extinguisher he tells me.

Based on Cary's post above, the bearing nut is probably loose. How worried do I need to be? Fortunately, there is a tire shop open in Medford tomorrow. I am going to give them a call in the morning to see if they can take a look at the tires. Should I have them repack the bearings anyway?

I think I have less than 3000 miles on the trailer.

9. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Joan,

"Looseness" would not make a noise. The bearing all have a certain about of looseness, you don't want them super tight. It is when it becomes notably different than you are used to that you need to attend to the bearings. The guy at the campground probably just heard your trailer's brakes coming on and off.

Still, does not hurt to have a trailer shop take a peak. For piece of mind it really is never a bad idea.

Cary

10. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Hi, Joan. The fellow you talked to at the Medford KOA: was he a tall, somewhat lanky, early 70's, very pleasant gentleman? If so, did you get a chance to chat at all? He has an amazing story: Air Force, social worker who set up treatment facilities for kids with Prader-Willi Syndrome, took up kayaking and ran trips along the Thames River in England . . . This KOA was a laundry stop for us and so we had a good hour of conversation.

Kathy

PS - have a good trip!

11. jfocallag

The tire shop said that the bearings were fine. They said that they originally were probably packed with too much grease. With use, some of the grease came out and made the bearing a little loose. They repacked them. They agreed with you, that what the man heard was the brake magnet. Glad I had them check it though.

12. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Glad to hear it was OK. It's one less thing to worry about now ;)