Wonderful cast iron

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by Hilditch, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

It is universally accepted that great, great grandma’s cast iron is the best. That is because they had a hard carbon seasoning that is as good as or better than Teflon. Seasoning is carbon, pure slippery carbon – think graphite. Pure carbon does not mold, get rancid, smoke or create a sticky or gooey surface – think coal although it’s not pure carbon. All the impurities are gone from pure carbon. Animal products make one of the hardest carbons, much harder than vegetable products, although grape seed oil does get hard.

To create this nice smooth hard surface, g-g-grandma didn’t use Crisco or any vegetable oil. She used bacon grease, butter and lard. Frying chicken and fish in lard was great for building seasoning. She rendered steak fat to fry steak. Meat fats create a harder carbon more than vegetable oils or synthetic crap, which were fortunately not available back then. She was careful not to cook acidic foods that would eat the seasoning without adding some non-acidic foods such as meat or fat; and cleaned the pot or pan quickly after cooking.

She used bees wax to coat the pieces of cast iron she was going to store in warm humid conditions so it wouldn’t rust or mold. However, bees wax has a low smoking point and does not leave a hard carbon finish, so most of it would be removed before cooking. The rest of the cookware remained on the stove for daily cooking, washed and ready for another mess of bacon.

If you want cast iron like g-g-grandma had, do your homework and leave it on the stove to use a few times a week. Grilled cheese sandwiches, a mess of bacon or eggs in a Dutch oven? Of course. A few hundred meals and you will be on you way.

Learning about cast iron is a journey, not just a college course.

This is for information only; all questions are to be posed to Google.

Hilditch

Mark & Mel likes this.
  2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Very good info, Hilditch. Thank you!

3. tear4two

tear4two Newbie

Where would be a good place to buy a Cast Iron Dutch Oven?

4. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

C & D,

Where to purchase?
    Local sporting goods stores, online, flee markets. Depends upon what you are desiring, intended use, price points.

Need to ask yourself a few questions: Why do you desire a DO? What is your skill level, intended uses, how many people are you planning on cooking for?

As for mine: I have purchased from Fleet Farm, which is a local farm speciality store, Lodge dealer after attending a DOG, and Gander Mountain. I have way too many DO, 12 regualr, 12 deep, and a 10 inch. The 10 inch is plenty big for 2 people. Impulse buying when I got the 12 deep after a DOG.

I suggest investing in a Lodge. Check out your local sporting good stores, home repair stores, garage sales, estate sales, and various online options.

Most DO recipes are written for 12 inch.

Watch out castironitis is dangerous.

George will give you excellant resources!

Good luck
    Jean

5. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I guess I am on.
    I know of 2 Lodge Outlet stores. I believe there are a couple more. The 2 I know of are in South Pittsburgh, TN and Gatlinburg, TN.
    Amazon.com has ben known to have some good sales.
    ka tom.com carries Lodge and for some reason is quite a bit less than the Lodge stores.
    Walmart may have a Lodge left, but they have gone to Coleman which is definately made in china.
    Personally the only cast iron from china that I would consider using would be Camp Chef brand. With all the concerns of content in the metal and all the bad publicity that China has had for quality. I avoid it. Lodge is the only mfg that is currently making ci cooking gear in the USA.
    Size is as Jean said. What are your intentions. FYI I used a 10" deep at the Camp Outt that had around 100 people eating. I saw the last spoonful leavee the pot. But remember there were probably 50 dishes to choose from.
    1-2 person 6 inch
    2-3 8 inch
    4-6 10 inch

etc. If you are starting out with DO cooking start small. Cook for yourself and immediate family. If you like it go bigger.

I hope this helps

6. tear4two

tear4two Newbie

Thanks for the info Jean. (I'm scared castironitis...oh no!!!)

Thanks George. We are just getting into it, mainly for camping. I will start checking some of the suggestions.

We'll keep you posted.

7. Oysterpot

I still recomend that you "practise" at home, and get comfortable with your skills and recipes. In the cooler weather, soups, stews and chilis are great.

8. George, we thought of you on vacation when we hit South Pittsburgh, TN on the way home and just happened to a Lodge outlet I think in Georgia after we left the Smokies. We did some damage to the pocketbook at both places and now have ci for indoor cooking and some new for outdoor cooking to complement our other ci. Picked up their new 6" pot. For the 2 of us the 6" and 8" we had work great when camping.

9. Oysterpot

Oh ho you are hooked. LOL I'm sorry I shouldn't make lite of this serious condition.

Yes for the 2 of you, your 1qt and 2qt pots will be sufficient. Happy cooking. We expect to see recipe posts with pictures.

Enjoy your Cast Iron

10. thanks, we are! Both having fun with it and hooked...LOL