Winterize yet?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Ken & Peggy, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We're going to be camping this weekend and I just noticed that there is a freeze warning for early Friday morning - upper 20's to low 30's for about 5 hours. Is that long enough to do damage to the plumbing? Would a portable heater keep things warm enough to avoid damage? If not I'll have to winterize before we head out later today.

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Ken,

Mike said you called with this question. This is really good question and one we are getting asked alot this time of year. Generally we have found that a overnight freeze is no risk. It takes a full on all day or more freeze to cause problems. Unless the water tank is full to the top it is not a concern and neither are the water lines because of the type of lines we use. The area of concern for winter freezing is the water pump and the strainer for the water pump.

If using the trailer in weather were it does freeze at night perhaps run the faucet right before bed and first thing when you get up and any time you get up during the night to clear the pump. Shouldn't need to but it would be an extra piece of mind.

You mentioned a space heater. This would work. If you wanted to do this just set the space heater down in the under counter storage under the sink. The wooden cover under the sink covers the pump and strainer and is very open at the top so the heat will easily get at the pump and strainer. Sure would not take much heat, heck a light bulb would do a fine job.

Cary

3. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Cary,
    Although we won't need it now - I like the light bulb idea, I use a 40 watt bulb under my water for the birds all winter it keeps the water open unless it gets 15 below or more than I use a 60 watt.
    Pat

4. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Cary. I think I'll use the light bulb to keep the pump warm and keep the heater inside for us!

5. DonSue

DonSue Novice

Ken,

Thanks for asking this very timely question. My wife and I were discussing this very question last night (we had a 28 degree F overnight temperature).

And thanks to Cary for a very useful and informative answer. The light bulb idea is a great one and one we will be using. We are hoping to spend a few days camping in Missouri somewhere during the week of Thanksgiving and were getting concerned about freezing weather and maybe needing to go "water-less" in the 550.

Don

6. Ken & Peggy

we just survived a 28 F night and the water's running freely! Colors are good, sky is clear, and the bacon's fryin'. Sent from the cell phone.

7. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Just an ordinary light buld? Doesn't it have to be plugged in?

8. Jean W

Now this is an excellant idea. Electric bird baths really send the light bill higher. What type of feeder do you use? What type of set up for the feeder and lightbulb?

Jean

9. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Jean,

Yup, just a regular household light bulb. Small, cheap trouble light would work good. Need to plug it in to power, might have to unlatch the counter lid to get the cord in there.

As a kid I kept a cattle watering pump unfrozen with a light bulb so I could water the cows and horse every morning (morning chores).

Cary

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jean,
    this isn't exactly for this web site but I will post some pictures for you and then maybe Evan can delete them - Evan is this ok?
    Pat

11. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

No problem - people can get ideas for under their sinks...

12. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  13. Ken & Peggy

Winterized the Teardrop today...

Just got out to the garage and winterized the trailer this morning.

I'm not sure if I needed to, but I also hooked up the sprayer hose and ran some anti-freeze through it to be sure there was no water left in the plumbing going that way.

Just opening the camper up makes me want to get out and do some camping!

14. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Re: Winterized the Teardrop today...

Ken,
    We still have warm weather. I have a hunt trip planned the weekend after Thanksgiving. I may close it winterize after that. But I will still hunt with the TD sans water.
    Go Preds..From 1st to worst in one road trip.
    Steve

15. Jean W

Shoots, you can still use the tear. Uff Da Inn traveled to Duluth, MN past Thursday evening. Saturday snowed all day, woke up Sunday morning to 5 inches! Thank goodness I 35 was all clear on trip home. Now I better add RV antifreeze.

Who wants to come wash the TD for me?

Jean

16. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Better get that chloride off. Aluminum doesn't like it.