Window screen replacement?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Ken & Peggy, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I haven't looked at it closely yet, but I'm going to be replacing a damaged window screen and wonder if there is anything special about the process that I need to be aware of. Hope to get it done in the morning before things get too busy here if possible. tia

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Ken,

This is fairly easy. Remove the trim ring around the window (screws are right on the face). The screen is held in place with a old fashioned cord type screen retainer. Just pull that small cord out of the groove around the screen frame holding the screen in place. Replace the screen material and tuck the cord back in the groove to hold the screen back in. This tucking in can be done with a flat blade screw driver but is easier if you have a window screen roller. Window screen rollers are that little tool that looks like a small pizza cutter, you can get these at your local hardware store. Reinstall the trim ring and you are done.

Cary

3. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Cary. Wasn't sure if it was going to work like any other screen repair. Any special mesh size to buy? I've got the tool, just have to find it...

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Nothing special about the mesh, regular hardware store door screen material.

Now to find what junk drawer the tool is in, LOL!

Cary

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  5. Ken & Peggy

Got it, installed, safe from mosquitoes once again. Thanks.

Vince G and Sweeney like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Mine are still in tact --- this is good to know --- I've got a furry friend who is a 'digger' and I fully expect to come back from an excursion and find my screens shredded...