WiFi For Your Tow Vehicle or Camp Site

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by Jim 2011, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

There is a discussion below on which Apps people are using and I suggested a look at AllStays Camp & RV App but you don't want to have to find a WiFi hotspot if "on the road" to use it to it's full capability. We have Verizon coverage cell phones and before picking up our trailer in September I purchased a WiFi device (called Mifi for "mobile" I think) from the Verizon store. If you have cell phone coverage and turn this on you have WiFi wherever you are, including in your tow vehicle while driving. It is even 4G capable if you are in a 4G area. It is the size of a playing card and about 1/2" thick. They say it will "supply" up to 5 devices simultaneously but I think that would really slow things down. It is password protected of course. It is NOT recommended for video streaming, the monthly fee plan rolls out multiple cash registers if you exceed your plan limits. We have 4GB in our plan (bundled with the phones) and have never exceeded 1.5GB. A lot of parks advertise WiFi capability but my experience is that they are very weak signals and generally quite slow. If I have cell phone coverage I just power this up (it is battery powered but I just plug it into the trailer to keep it fully charged using the DC adaptor) and I have as good a WiFi signal as I do cell phone signal. That is the key of course, no cell phone, no WiFi but the one or two times that has occurred I used the camp WiFi (if available). All the major cell phone companies have this I believe, not just Verizon but the point here is that you can use it while in your TV (pulled over to the side of course if you don't have a designated navigator ;) )
    Jim & Mary Anne

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Also, check out PdaNet ...

It's free for Android, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Mobile. It uses your phone as a modem, at whatever speed you are connected (3G, 4G, etc.). It works through USB or Bluetooth - PC or Mac. It eliminates the cost of a 'mobile hotspot' like you described. Here's a link to read more PdaNet for Android .

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Not sure how many years MiFi has been around, but I have used the device since 2008

Basically anywhere there is cell phone reception, I have internet. Granted cable internet which is cheaper and faster, but doesn't fit with my life style. The price difference is about $15 a month more expensive then cable. The portability wins over the price.

The device can support upto 5 enabled computers. The most that have utilized my MiFi at once is three.

The only place I couldn't use MiFi was in a Las Vegas hotel this year. Hotel was greedy wanting to supply internet access.

At times I will attempt to utilize the hotel/campground WiFi signal, which usually is weaker or not worth the effort establishing a free account/log on process.

I don't worry about offering "free" internet to others because of the secure network.

Yes, I and friends have been on the internet while traveling down the highway, requires a designated driver!

To me the device and service is fantastic. Very portable, easy to use, and offers a huge improvement over dial up for those who are unable to receive cable or DSL. Converted my mother from dial up to MiFi this year.

Stop by anytime, we will discuss teardrops and MiFi.

Jean

4. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Ken and Peggy

Went to look at PdaNet. Sounded good but found this note on their website.

Apple has not accepted PdaNet into the App Store due to understandable reason. You will need to jailbreak your iPhone and install it through Cydia.

So that's a no go for me. Jailbreaking the just isn't in the cards.

That said the iPhone can be setup as a wifi hotspot depending on your carrier and level of service.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I'm not familiar with the Apple jargon, but it sounds like they (not surprisingly) aren't thrilled about people circumventing the added charges/fees to add a 'hotspot' of their own. I would only suggest using PdaNet occasionally, as none of the carriers like to lose the additional $$$ they could be charging. PdaNet is not meant to be used for watching a movie or other high bandwidth application. It's great for checking email occasionally or looking up campgrounds etc.