Why cats don't camp

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by rushthecat, Oct 30, 2012.

1. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Well, this past weekend we took the Crab Pot out to a local campground (Rock Crusher Canyon in Citrus FL, very nice) to check out our cats response to tear drop camping. He had traveled with us in the motorhome for years so we weren't too worried. He did great--it was all the other creatures that made our life miserable. In the middle of the night, we think, a raccoon tore our side tent to break in and eat our cat's food. The cat took off after whatever broke in around 2:30 in the morning. We didn't realize at the time that the cat was chasing something. We just thought the cat had broken out by getting between the teardrop and the tent but when we got up in the morning there was a big hole that had been clawed and out garbage was strewn all over the place. Mike didn't like the fact that whatever it was was pretty close to his nose since he slept with the door open so the cat could get to his litter box which we had in the side tent. It was an exciting night. No more cat camping!!! I tried to tell Mike it wouldn't work but he was determined to try.

2. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

…good thing our cats don't like to travel.

3. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

That is a wild - so to speak - story. Glad Kitty is OK. Now she can look forward to spending time in some vet-resort while you guys are out and about. Amazing that you actually slept through all the activity. Kathy

4. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Jenn, one thing about living in the Villages is there is a repair guy for everything. Got the name of someone who fixes golf cart enclosures and for $20 we got a pretty professional looking patch. Gorilla Tape would be a good lead in for better camp fire stories though!
    Mike

5. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Here kitty, kitty.
    You're lucky that coon didn't decide he had found a nice warm place to spend the night.
    It sounds like a tear in the side tent was pretty minor as to what could have happened.

6. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Oly, yea you're right. I remember my uncles going coon hunting in MD when I was a kid on the farm. Those old Bluetick(sp) and Walker coon hounds would be really messed up if they cornered a coon or one was shot out of the tree but not exacly dead yet. Battle scars my uncle called them.
    Mike