Where's The Power, Light?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Joe & Jenny, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Joe & Jenny

Joe & Jenny Newbie

I know my heading is a tad vague but I wasn't really sure what heading would get people's attention. I am the 2nd owner of a Campinn 560. It came with a solar panel and the previous owner told me where to plug it in. There is a small 12V connector on the side wall near where the battery is stored. This is where I was told to plug it in. Now I am no engineer or DC Electrician although I have been wiring houses for over 30 years, something is not making sense to me. The solar connection looks like any other 12v socket. When I plug my meter into it, I get no reading whatsoever. Shouldn't I be getting something on the meter? Or is it strictly input only? Also, I can not find a fuse anywhere on the 12v solar circuit. Where is it?

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

If your camper has the standard factory installed solar connection, there is a solar charge controller mounted to the right interior side of the upper right storage cabinet. The socket on the outside connects to the input of this controller. There should be no reading with a volt meter on the socket as the controller isolates it from the battery.

Tour 931 likes this.
  3. Joe & Jenny

Joe & Jenny Newbie

Thank you, Rotus. That is kind of what I was figuring but it doesn't hurt to get it from you guys too. Do you know if the solar controller is load protected? Is there a fuse for it? I have another question, not sure you can help but here goes...On the battery tender, I have a solid red light ad a flashing green light when I am plugged into shore power. Any ideas?

4. SethB

SethB Ranger

I believe red/amber steady means it's charging, the blinking green that you're up to 80%.

How long have you been plugged in? Your green should go steady at full charge, where it switches to maintenance mode.

Sorry, no solar info!

5. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

The solar controller has a 10 amp fuse in the connection to the battery. The controller itself is internally protected. There is an electrical diagram on page 49 of the owner's manual; if you don't have a copy, you can download it here. http://tinycamper.com/documents/Camp-InnUserManual-2012.pdf

The controller is made by Morningstar, their manuals can be downloaded from their website.

Tour 931 likes this.
  6. Joe & Jenny

Joe & Jenny Newbie

Thanks, all. I found everything and it all seems to be in good shape.

7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I have the controller but have never used it so I found this thread helpful.