Leveling Jacks Where Is Leveling Jack?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Carla McCullough, Jul 3, 2022.

1. We're on our maiden voyage with our 2021 Raindrop and can't find the leveling jack. Does it come with one? Thanks!

2. Hello Carla,

There are two on the rear end. Get down low and look at the bottom of the trailer and they should be there - near the bumper if you have one. The trailer should come with the appropriate wrench for lowering them. (Edit... note about single jack being down removed. Concept explained better below by Lipster.)

Cheers,
    --Ken

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  3. That was the fast answer, in case you were online right now looking for the answer.

Longer answer... you may not need it, but our process...
    __Select relatively flat area. I prefer to have the tongue up-hill if possible (makes my kitchen taller if ground is sloping away).
    __Chock the uphill tire
    __Level the trailer laterally by lowering the jack on the downhill side. We carry a small level in the forward storage area for this.
    __Level the trailer front to back by adjusting the tongue height. Use a level or your doors to check. If your doors are open 90 degree to the trailer and don't swing forward or back then you're pretty level.
    __Chock the tongue wheel.

Welcome to the club. You won't find better customer service ANYWHERE than from Cary and the CI staff. These are the most fun little trailers and I hope you have a great time. Also, if you have the manual, it has a very useful checklist which I highly recommend using.

Cheers,
    --Ken

Kevin likes this.
  4. Thanks! I guess now what we're missing is the wrench. Any clue where that might have been stowed from the factory?

5. Thanks, Ken! Do you know where the wrench might be located? Straight from the factory? I agree, Carey is the best!! Thanks for the welcome!

6. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Quote: "Remember, only one should be down at a time if the trailer is being used, slept in or subject to lateral loading."

Well, they can both be down, but both wheels should not be off the ground. We almost always have them both down, but one is down just far enough so the trailer does not jiggle when sleeping.
    From the manual:
    Adjust the leveling jack on the ―Low‖ side first. When the trailer is level side-to-side, lower the leveling jack on the ―High‖ side until it touches the ground.
    I think the jack nut is 7/8" or 3/4. You can use any wrench if you can't find the crank. (Look under the mattress and in the spare tire area. We use an electric drill to lower them quickly to touch the ground and then use the crank or a wrench.

7. Vince G

Vince G Novice

Check under mattress for wrench. I agree we keep both down but tires not off ground

8. SethB

SethB Ranger

If it’s not under the mattress check the front outside storage compartment.

ps. It is 3/4”.

Kevin likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Our "first purchase" was 3/8 drive with a 3/4 socket :) --- I picked up a ratcheting 3/4 wrench and use that now, it takes up less space and takes no time at all to deploy the stabilizers. We stow it in the galley area which is the first thing we open when we hook up shore power.

Pro tip: Turn off the breaker at the power pole before you plug everything in, then reset the breaker.

Kevin and Vince G like this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Bust my buttons! Maiden voyage! WELCOME !!!!! I speak, I am sure, for all of us --- we can't wait to hear about your adventures! Where was your first night's stay?

11. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Sweeney, are you saying the wrench you linked is easier to use on the stabilizers than the supplied, long hand crank one? I've noticed it can be a bit challenging at times due to the length. Would love an improvement over the original.

12. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

We changed from the crank to a socket wrench with, extension, and deep socket. Much more convenient.

We use an orange twisty tie (purchased at Home Depot, hitting blank on proper name) to wrap around the ratchet and extension shaft, which stores nicely in the front storage compartment.

When we lower the Jack, we wrap the orange twisty tie around the bumper, on the side the jack is down, as a reminder not to forget the jack is down.

So far it’s worked.

Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I HATE the crank. The one they provide today is better than the one we received in 2012. In the spirit of elkhart a unviersal joint and a bearing on the handle would make it useful --- but standard crank is deplorable. A short ratcheting wrench or socket works a lot better, at least for me.

Remember, the stabilizers are not designed to lift weight of the trailer, just to stabilize and in the case of CI, maybe a light lift as long as the wheels (or possibly wheel?) is on the ground. I'd be lying if I said I didn't lift my rig at least once using them as a jack. :) -- the stabilizers really are not designed to be jacks.

The wrench is a little short from a leverage perspective - a 10 inch socket provides more than enough leverage to lift the trailer high enough to change a tire. 90% of the places we stay though are level enough that we dont need to fight too hard to level.

If you do have to level, the Camco 44423 RV Curved, or any that are similar to it are the bees knees.

JohnC likes this.
  14. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Yeah. I had to change a tire once on a freeway with the supplied Elkhart crank. OMG. Gotter done, but what an ordeal, both up AND down. Same afternoon was at a Home Depot buying a 3/8" socket wrench, 3/4" socket and a 10" extension.
    Don't use it to level, but if the need arises to change a tire or adjust the brakes, I'm set. Those tools reside with the spare and cost maybe $22. Well worth it.

Kevin and Sweeney like this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

For brake adjustment, just be sure you chock it, lock it, and block it....make sure its not moving anywhere. You don't want your head under that weight :)

I missed the Orange twisty comment above -- good idea. We bought the parking brake option with ours, and I'm paranoid as heck about leaving it locked unintentaionally. Back in the day, I was similarly paranoid about leaving the batwing antenna raised in the class A --- ripping one of those off on a tree branch can do SERIOUS damage to the roof.

I picked up a "remove before flight" ribbon from an air museum I went too --- that hangs on my gearshift as my reminder to make all those checks...it has saved me at least once. I almost drove off with the shore-power still connected.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Kevin likes this.
  16. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Something like this? Have been given quite a few over the years.

Attached Files:

17. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

Like these. They make different sizes and colors. Also work great for taking up excess Dometic cord, strapping garbage bag to bumper on a windy day, tying the Lucilight (sp?) to the propane tank, etc.

Attached Files:

Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  18. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

I've seen these, but can't remember where. What are they called? Anyone know?

19. SethB

SethB Ranger

Those are Nite Ize Gear Ties, available at Home Depot, Amazon, REI, many other retailers in various sizes

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  20. Just curious... based on what information? Is there a manufacturer spec that says what the lifting capacity is?

Thx.