Where Could I Go For A Winter Camping Trip?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by KatharinaM33, May 30, 2018.

1. KatharinaM33

KatharinaM33 Newbie

Hello Community!
    I would love to go during my winter holidays on a camping trip in Asia. Because it would be my first visit in Asia I would love to ask you all where the best place for camping there could be.

Katharina

Tour 931 likes this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Are you taking your teardrop? Not that I would have an answer one way or another.

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Here's one of my favorites...
    https://g.co/kgs/fGKxBn

4. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

My favorites are listed below. We can only go in December/January, so my choices are limited to lower altitude areas where the weather seems pretty reliable. E.g. to me Texas seems to be variable and I've never been able to hit the weather right.:

- Catalina State Park, AZ (good hiking and biking, basically in town but you can't tell. Sonoran Desert museum and Sugaro national monument.)
    - City of Rocks, NM
    - Dead Horse Ranch State Park, AZ (Near native ruins, Prescott, and Jerome mining town)
    - Kartchner Caverns State Park, AZ (amazing caverns and a little bit of good hiking)
    - Organ Pipe Nat. Mon., AZ

We transition from winter to summer at Coronado Campground in Bernalillo, NM. I like that a lot because of the Albuquerque bike trail. I think the trail is called Del Bosque. Sante Fe has a couple of RV parks if you want to see the museums.

Lost Dutchman is okay if you need to be near a city to provision or if there is bad weather. Nice hiking but the glow, air pollution and sound of Phoenix.

If you can go a little bit later, I would strongly recommend the Chiricahuas. I am nervous about the stream crossing at the Cochise Stronghold, so I would stay away from that. Go to the eastern monument.

5. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I would love to hear if anyone has some places in the Southeast for December/January. I don't mean to change the character of Katarina's post though.

6. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Florida has GREAT state parks but for winter you have to reserve early.
    A few of my faves...
    Panhandle: Ochlockonee Stae Park is a hidden gem located on the Ochlockonee River. Rare white squirrels may be seen. Florida Caverns State Park has caverns one can tour and you can canoe/kayak local rivers. Blackwater River Stare Park is on the Blackwater River. That river has a white quartz sandy bottom, crystal clear water and there are sandy spits of beach interspresed with tall bluffs with white cedar and long leaf pines. Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center Stae Park Is just that and located on the Suwannee River.

Just noticed the time and have to sign off. Will add more locations later. Check out the state park website and ALLSTAYS site reviews.

lorieandkeith and Ben like this.
  7. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Thanks Gypsy. I really have struggled figuring Florida out. I need that Dec/Jan window and I never can quite find informaton. I really appreciate it.

8. South Carolina has 4 state parks on the coast, from N to S they are Myrtle Beach, Huntington Beach, Edisto Beach, & Hunting Island. There is also Buck Hall in the Francis Marion National Forest about 45 minute from Charleston, SC. There are some others near the coast and last year they ran some Winter Specials at some of them.

South Georgia should have some state parks that would be nice that time of year too.

The beginning of December could still be okay in a lot of SC and GA but you will have overnight temps that will be cold but with Daytime temps that will be nice. Overnight upper 20's to 30's with Daytime 55-60 or so. Jan you would start to get into the lower 20's with an occasional drop into the teens. Daytime in the upper 40s to 50s. If we get snow it will be from Jan 1 - thru end of Feb. The coast rarely gets snow and the Upstate mainly gets 1 snowfall per year. While the temps don't strike fear in the heart of someone from up North, 75% humidity with 30 degree temps is colder than you might think it is.

9. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Thank you so much. The sun in the winter is so healing, and 55-60 sounds great.

10. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We recently stayed at Hunting Island State Park in SC and highly recommend it.

11. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Florida