When is it safe to use the water tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim Carter, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

So as my second spring approaches I am curious as to what overnight low temps tell one not to un-winterize the water tanks?

My first outing will be in Pennsylvania around the end of April. Last year it was our first outing ever and the overnight temps made me think it was a bad idea to fill the tank. In the 20's I think.

Comments?

2. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I recall Cary saying that a light freeze overnight should be ok but any sustained temps below freezing would be problematic. This was one of the reasons I went without water on board (use 7 gallon jugs). But I'm trying to camp year round - headed tomorrow to Shenandoah River State Park. The nice thing about January camping is that the sites are available on short notice - I've rescheduled now 3 times due to severe predicted weather. This weekend there is no precipitation in the forecast. First weekend clear in months. With electric hook-ups should be pretty toasty inside.

Jenn and LisaNKevin like this.
  3. Jim Carter

So how was the Shenandoah?

4. Ben

Ok - you twisted my arm! Review of the park posted. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from your home town - might be worth the trip if you could do a 3 day weekend. They are open year round and have electric hookups.

You're actually about equal distance as me to my favorite camping area in the mid-Atlantic which is Green Ridge State Forest. They too are open year round but this is truly boondocking. I used my 2 7 gallon reliance jugs but struggled with them freezing. I learned that it is best to turn the jug so that the spigot is at the top so that it won't get clogged with ice. I think we got down around 10 degrees overnight on our last trip in December.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    LisaNKevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  5. Jim Carter

Google Maps says 2 hours for me. Where are the campsites from the Headquarters location?

6. Ben

What's nice about Green Ridge is how far apart the campsites are from one another - it's nearly 50,000 acres stretching from PA to the Potomac and about 10 miles wide with a bit less than 100 sites. Typically you'll be at least a quarter mile from your nearest camping neighbor so you don't have to worry much about them bothering you with noise or vice versa. There are some sites close to headquarters (5-10 minute drive) and others more like 30 minutes away. The roads are all unpaved and some require 4 wheel drive. You can roughly divide the forest into quadrants and each has its unique features - I know the southern sites the best but this is just good reason to get to know other areas. It's a great place if you like solitude and activities like paddling, birding, hiking, biking or hunting and fishing. If you go, PM me and I'll share my favorite site with you.

Jim Carter and Jenn like this.
  7. Jim Carter

Thanks!

8. Jim Carter

I was just looking at the Green Ridge web site and I have a question. Do they have out houses? I could not tell at all.

9. Ben

I think that some of the group sites have porta-pots but for the most part the answer is no. A decent shovel is definitely handy to have. I was out there again a week and a half ago and had a great time.

10. Jim & Selma

Jim & Selma Novice

Hi guys... Back to the freezing water.
    We took off from Wisconsin one winter to the Texas gulf coast and found our faucet cartridge was broken.
    Not sure how or when. Our garage barely gets below freezing.
    We had been zinged once in New Mexico when it was cold one morning, but it thawed out in a few minutes.
    I'm sure the faucet or pump would be the first to freeze, not the tank.
    Anyways, I called headquarters to find out where to get a replacement cartridge.
    Cary said it a hard one to find as it was a Swedish(?) marine faucet.
    He offered to send us parts in Texas. Campinn is great, both Cary and Craig!
    I asked him to send to us at home, as we never know where we will be.
    Small kitchen, we just turned the faucet on/off with the pump switch for for a few weeks.
    Cartridge pictures below. Jim & Selma

Attached Files:

LisaNKevin likes this.